Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: printing to windowsxp

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    printing to windowsxp

    i can't seem to print to an xp computer over the network.
    I can find, mount and copy from the xp computer, but when I try
    to configure the printer nothing happens. The printer won't mount, even
    If I mount the the device(printer) that I see on the xp machine. If I use the
    add printer wizzard It will scan the network but not return any names or addresses
    of the xp computer only the workgroup.

    How can I have full access the the xp system and not be able to print?

    here is my config

    compaq notebook Using KDE (printing from)
    dual boot win2k and kde 3.3(hd install)
    (win 2k prints fine)
    (drivers are part of KDE, and I have selected them via add printer wizzard)
    (loging with same username and password I have assigned on the xp machine)

    Intel 800mhz with win xp (connected to a HP officejet K-80xi)

    I'm not sure I used cups correctly bacause It asked me for server (I dont have a print server)
    I used the name and IP of the xp machine. and that didn't work. I tried using the name and IP
    of the local (compaq notebook) and that didn't work either.

    someone please help
    before I smash somthing

    pboodi

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    anyone have any Idea?.............

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    There's a bunch of posts on this, here is one that might help:


    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...cc6d52f0911071

    Just from looking at your post, I wonder if you've enabled print sharing on the xp box?

    HTH

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    Yes I do have print sharing enabled on the xp system. I should mention that the knoppix computer is dual boot with win 2k. I can print from 2k fine. But would prefer not to restart my computer just to print.
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    Can Anyone Print to Win xp?

    Can anyone print to win xp. Please respond. maybe we can compare setup......Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hmm,

    A couple of more things to check. Are cupsd and smbd running on your knoppix box? Open a shell and type ps -A to see if they are. If both are not listed start them by typing (in a root shell) cupsd and smbd start and then from the graphical interface try again to find and setup the printer.

    Is there any firewall settings on the xp side that could be interfering with things? Since you can print to the xp from 2k, there may also be some TCP/IP issues here, not sure.

    Again, refer to the posts above. I'm not that well versed in the xp side of things, but maybe someone will chime in with a better suggestion.

    HTH

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    typed ps -a in rootbox

    pid tty time cmd
    796 pts/2 00:00:00ps

    been checking... on xp machine I can see all the shared devices including the printer. I can click on a shared device and enter my username and pswd and I'm in... but when I click on the printer nothing happens.....I get no box asking for pswd...I also should note I have enabled unix printing on xp machine Is the printer supposed to appear when scaning (adding printer in knoppix) cant seem to activate cups because no server is recognized. Manual entry of local computer name and or ip isn't recognized when configuring cups.... neither is name and ip of xp machine. Thanks to anyone who can help

    pboodi

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Sorry you're still having trouble, let's keep at it.

    First: type ps -A (captital A) for a list of running processes, cupsd should appear if it's running.

    If it's not, from a root shell type cupsd to start it.

    kprinter should see your winxp printer, if it's on your network.

    I think you are running a hard drive installed knoppix/debian , right?

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    wow thanks I didn't know there were that many processes running. Wish I could clean things up like I can in windows startup and services. But thats a different post.
    Cups wasnt there so I started it. (rechecked cupsd now listed in processes)
    I tried to use the printer setup in control panel. Still dosent see the printer on network scan.
    I now have a airlink printserver in addition to the xp box.
    It supports linux but isn't recognized (but it works in windows)
    and yes I use knoppix 3.3 hd installed.

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
  3. I can't mount my windowsXP shared map with vmware
    By sneeze in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 06:16 PM
  4. Dual boot Knoppix and WindowsXP on 2 HDs
    By Kepaletswet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:03 PM
  5. WindowsXP now won't boot
    By ScottB in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95