Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
Harry, somewhere in my Internet wanderings, I came across a hacked version of Windows 3.1 that loads into a ramdisk entirely from a single floppy. There's not much there once it's running, but it runs.

Certainly one could run something like it from a 32MB device. The trick would be to get it to boot.
Hi eco2geek,
I hadn't heard of the Win 3.1 single floppy, but it is intereting. But if it really does run from a floppy (as opposed to loading itself into memory, which would be easier since then the information on the floppy could be compressed, giving yourself a bit more to work with), then it's important to remember that Win 3.1 has floppy support, but does not have USB support. That is why I tried to draw the fine line between actually running from the 32 meg USB device or just booting from the USB device into memory and running from memory. And yes, setting up these gizmos for booting is tricky, even when you have a computer bios with a boot from USB option, but people are managing to figure it out.