Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: firefox not working on 4.0 dvd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North Carolina USA
    Posts
    7

    firefox not working on 4.0 dvd

    I just started up knoppix 4.0 dvd and the firefox browser wont work. It looks like its trying to open, but then disappears. Is there something wrong is my config somewhere?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13

    same thing here...However

    My firfox bombs after I get the w32codecs installed and the kaffeine-mozilla plug in. I fix it by rebooting without any of my configurations, but that is a pain to do it all over again.

    Anyone know why firefox dies?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: firefox not working on 4.0 dvd

    Quote Originally Posted by tp671
    I just started up knoppix 4.0 dvd ...
    If you mean 4.0.2 then all I can pass along is that it has worked fine for me. If you really mean 4.0 then I don't know.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    Yes I mean V 4.0.2, I am using the DVD version. This time I just installed the flash plugin and after awhile firefox quits working. I try to launch it and it acts like it will open and it just goes away.

    I am not sure if creating the .img on my thumb drive is causing any issues but it seems to fail awhile after doing that, maybe a coincidence who knows.

    Harry, do you just run from cd/dvd drive only? Or do you have an .img on a drive? Because once I remove my thumb drive with image and load fresh firefox works fine again.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by hooper_fc5
    Yes I mean V 4.0.2, I am using the DVD version. This time I just installed the flash plugin....
    Actually, I quoted and was talking to tp671. I have not installed the plug-in that you write of and make no claim that that works or does not work. But the fact that you can get far enough to install the plug-in should give tp671 extra information that we are both getting farther than he is.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13

    Persistant image .img

    Sorry, I did not mean to post out of turn but he posted that in August and did not reply so I thought I would jump in.

    Did you save your configuration to a persistant image?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Persistant image .img

    Quote Originally Posted by hooper_fc5
    Sorry, I did not mean to post out of turn but he posted that in August and did not reply so I thought I would jump in.

    Did you save your configuration to a persistant image?
    I hadn't even noted the dates, your post brought the the tread back to the top and I just thought to respond to tp671. It's not that you were posting"out of turn". but I didn't want to give you the impression that I was responding to you or knew anything about your plug-in problem. And no, I have not used the persistant image or any form of saving anything; I just boot from the Live CD and do what I can from there.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    I understand.

    Maybe most people don't use this feature of saving an image to a usb drive. I like it because I don't have to enter all my set ups again.

    Maybe if you have time you could try it to see if you experience the same thing by saving an image. How do you handle things you change? Do you just dump it all at reboot time?

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by hooper_fc5
    How do you handle things you change? Do you just dump it all at reboot time?
    I guess the simple answer is that I don't change things. That is, networking just works (I use a router), and I generally don't run wireless. I have finally gotten a wireless nic to work, and I do go ahead and re-enter the wep key if I decide to use the wireless connection. I'm still using Windows for a lot of stuff, and have a real Debian install for things that I want to use Linux for and retain work, so Knoppix is what it is intended to be for me, a Live CD that I can try on different hardware or for when I just want to experiment and learn Linux.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    Sorry, I thought as a moderator you would have tried all the features out that Knoppix provides. In first day i had it, I saved the .sh configuration to see how it worked then I graduated to the save image to see how that worked. I know it is mostly to use as a cd/dvd environment, but I found it convenient to save an image on a usb drive so I could keep bookmarks, wireless configuration and plugins I installed.

    If anyone else out there has used the save Knoppix configuration to a usb drive let me know if you have trouble with firefox, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8 and firefox not working (dns problems?)
    By jacksonon in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 12:23 AM
  2. Firefox not working - booting to knoppix 5.0 CD
    By robillardd in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
  4. Firefox 1.0
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 09:17 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21