Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: v4.0 DVD freezes during Boot-Up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3

    v4.0 DVD freezes during Boot-Up

    Hi -
    I have downloaded the 4.0 iso with the md5. I checked the iso with the md5 and all is ok.
    I burnt the iso onto a DVD at x2.4 then I made a second DVD at x2.0 ... then rebooted
    the computer. I get the startup screen that says:

    ____________________________



    KNOPPIX V4.0.1-DVD
    boot: _
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

    So I hit <Enter> ... Then I get a black screen for 3.5 minutes! then another screen that says:

    ____________________________


    Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-DVD!

    Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
    Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /dev/hdc...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    At this point it just hangs and nothing happens. (I waited for 10 minutes to be sure)
    The DVD wont eject .... I have to physically reboot the machine at this point.

    As I said abouve, I have 2 DVD's (burnt @ x2.0 and x2.4) I have tried and they both
    do the same thing. What is wrong ??

    My system:
    AMD Duron 1.31 GHz
    256 RAM
    Maxtor DiamondMax 60 Gig (master on primary IDE channel)
    Sony DVD-RW DRU500A (master on secondary IDE channel)
    NO FLOPPY DRIVE
    NViDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

    Please help !
    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Here is an update to my problems....

    I have tried the DVD on another computer (P4 3.0Ghz) and now Knoppix will boot from the dvd.
    But I now get a 'new' error :

    Autoconfiguring devices...
    WARNING: Autodetection seems to hang,
    please check your computers BIOS settings.


    What settings am I looking for in the BIOS ???
    What should I try next ??
    And any idea's as to why this DVD wont boot on my other PC (listed abouve) ??

    Thank you !
    John

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31
    I've noted some similar problems with the 08-16 version but not the 06-25 version. (May have got the exact dates wrong).

    Distrowatch has a note about some bugs in 4.0 DVD.
    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20050822#1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Use cheat code "testcd" to check the DVD. This will take a few minutes, but it's the best way to rule out a bad burn.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    Use cheat code "testcd" to check the DVD. This will take a few minutes, but it's the best way to rule out a bad burn.

    I just did a testcd and the DVD is fine. Any other thoughts ? ? : /

    JJohn

Similar Threads

  1. When I boot knoppix it freezes up
    By Ripscarface in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
  2. Boot freezes after HD install.
    By shawnrgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 01:28 AM
  3. Freezes in Boot
    By System in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:04 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 12:56 PM
  5. freezes when trying to write boot floppy
    By racerpup in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEC PC-8201A vintage computer picture

NEC PC-8201A vintage computer

$600.00



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264 picture

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264

$100.00



Vintage IBM OS/2 version Standard Version 1.3 3.5

Vintage IBM OS/2 version Standard Version 1.3 3.5" Diskettes SEALED

$199.00



Vintage Motherboard With Intel i386 1985 Processors Ram Unsure Of Model picture

Vintage Motherboard With Intel i386 1985 Processors Ram Unsure Of Model

$75.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



IBM  Logitech Trackman Portable Mouse M/N T-SC3 vintage UNTESTED s/n 462C00863 picture

IBM Logitech Trackman Portable Mouse M/N T-SC3 vintage UNTESTED s/n 462C00863

$24.95



Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working picture

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working

$55.55



Vintage Computer Adapter Board with Bracket picture

Vintage Computer Adapter Board with Bracket

$19.00