Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: fromhd works only with vfat

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    fromhd works only with vfat

    Hi all,
    I have GRUB installed on my PC and use it to boot Knoppix 3.9 with the fromhd cheatcode (without having the CD in the drive).
    Now I noticed somthing strange: All works fine if the compressed KNOPPIX file is on a partition formatted with the vfat filesystem but if it is on an ext2 partition I get a "kernel panic"...
    The reason why I'm writing that is because the new DVD (which I have not yet downloaded) will not fit on vfat because of the file size limitation and I would like to be able to boot without having the DVD in the drive. (Sorry my bad english.)

    Please, could someone give me an advice?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: fromhd works only with vfat

    Quote Originally Posted by mgraf
    will not fit on vfat because of the file size limitation and I would like...
    I'm not clear on just what size limitation you have an issue with . As I understand it, Vfat is the extension to FAT file names that lets file names exceed the old 8.3 limit. I currently have the DVD iso, with it's full KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso name, sitting on my FAT partition (I don't boot from FAT, I burned working DVDs from this ISO). So what doesn't fit?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the fast replay.
    I read somewhere that there is a file size limitation on fat (one single file can't be bigger then ~ 2 GB).
    If I understood correctly, I won't have that problem with vfat, because it is the extension of the fat filesystem.
    Very good! Thanks a lot.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The size limitation on Fat32 is 4 gig (minus a byte or two), not 2 gig. The file size limit on ISO9660 is 2 gigs per file and sometimes people get these confused. Older FAT systems did have limits less than 4 gig, but 4 gig is the number for Fat32. Vfat is the name size extension, but has nothing to do with the file size limit (Vfat can give you longer names even on older fat partitions with small file size limits).

    Microsoft has other issues (poor Microsoft). Even though you can have a 4 gig file on a FAT32 partition, Microsoft networking will not let you move the file across the network to another computer. You can work around this other ways, either use a 3rd party FTP program and transfer the file that way or, as I did, slice the file up into several hunks that you can transfer and then combine them on the second system.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    Good explanation!
    I think I won't have any problem because the iso is <4 gig. Will now try to save the huge knoppix file on my vfat partiton.

    But I'm still curious why the following works with vfat on /dev/hda1 and not with ext2 on /dev/hda1!

    title Knoppix V3.9 Kernel 2.6.11 fromhd
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/bootknoppix3.9/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 knoppix_dir=knoppix3.9
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/bootknoppix3.9/minirt.gz
    boot

Similar Threads

  1. .flv works convert to .avi works VideoDownload helper
    By woodsmoke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 05:00 AM
  2. fromhd...
    By maxIT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 12:15 PM
  3. tohd works fromhd wont work
    By franz29 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 06:19 PM
  4. iso to vfat
    By cld in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
  5. vfat not loaded automatically? vfat=fat32 support?
    By pc_dev in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Xeon W-2123 64GB 1.5TB NVMe Quadro P2000 W11P Restored picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Xeon W-2123 64GB 1.5TB NVMe Quadro P2000 W11P Restored

$599.99