Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: ran update, mysql stopped working ! HELP !

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida
    Posts
    18

    ran update, mysql stopped working ! HELP !

    (reposted from here: http://forums.linuxiso.org/viewtopic.php?t=27078) I figure this place might be able to help aswell...


    Ok, I have been using knoppix for 2 years with a hard drive install.

    I have the current version installed and everything seems to be working fine until I performed an update today (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) ..

    all of a sudden, mysqld is gone from my start-up list. ( so i re-added it and rebooted ), now it does not start back up even though I added it to all run levels including 3 and 5.

    I try to run it manually as root and I get this error:

    Code:
    root@box_1:/etc/init.d# ./mysql start
    Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
            Please take a look at the syslog.
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
    Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
    I have the binaries here:

    Code:
    root@box_1:/usr/sbin# whereis mysql
    mysql: /usr/bin/mysql /etc/mysql /usr/share/mysql /usr/share/man/man1/mysql.1.gz
    root@box_1:/usr/sbin# whereis mysqld
    mysqld: /usr/sbin/mysqld /usr/share/man/man8/mysqld.8.gz

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida
    Posts
    18
    Ok, I fixed it..

    here is what I found when I looked in the /var/log/syslog file..

    Code:
    Aug 22 09:54:42 box_1 mysqld[1725]: 050822  9:54:42 /usr/sbin/mysqld: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1'
    so, I took a look at this file: /etc/mysql/my.cnf

    and I found this line:

    Code:
    old_passwords = 1
    so, I changed it to this to see what would happen:

    Code:
    #old_passwords = 1

    then I ran mysql like this: /etc/init.d/mysql start

    and voila. It loaded up fine, I tested some of my websites running on apache with php and it all works perfectly.......


    SHEESH........

Similar Threads

  1. My mysql just stopped working!
    By morbidpalooza.com in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 09:17 PM
  2. NDISWRAPPER stopped working with 5.01
    By Abraxus in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM
  3. apt has stopped working
    By linuxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM
  4. Printing stopped working
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
  5. Internet connection stopped working
    By jimk in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed picture

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed

$89.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99