Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Deleting files on NTFS volume

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    Deleting files on NTFS volume

    There were two reasons why I decided to use Knoppix 3.2:
    • I wanted to get familiar with Linux. What I have seen now impresses me.

    • I wanted to use Knoppix in the case I have problems with Windows Xp Pro, because I was told, that it is possible with Knoppix to delete and add files on a NTFS volume.


    I have a problem with Windows XP, which is installed on a NTFS volume. I now experience, that I cannot delete a file from this volume.

    Is it really possible to delete a file from NTFS or/and what is it, that I'm doing wrong??

    Thanks, Paul

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Knoppix is set up so that it cannot write to a ntfs filesystem. Ntfs is read-only.

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    Knoppix is set up so that it cannot write to a ntfs filesystem. Ntfs is read-only.
    Waaaah! Please be specific, before the poor guy finds out how to remount drives read/write!

    NTFS write support is experimental in Linux! Don't try it unless you don't care about the data on the partition!!!

    Sorry about the abundant exclamation points!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your reply, though I am not happy that I cannot use Linux for modifying data on a NTFS volume.

    Maybe I should not put this question on this forum, but still:

    Does anybody know how to modify data on a NTFS volume, when Windows has been stalled and cannot be started again?

    Thank, Paul

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    To fix XP, you better use its rescue disk which is just the original CD(or boot floppy), there is an option that you can select and fix it.

    As for writing to NTFS, be very careful as suggested. It is possible but you better google linux-ntfs which will link you to the page of the steps needed AFTER you have made some changes to any of its content.

Similar Threads

  1. Deleting Files/Dirs on NTFS Partition using Knoppix 3.7
    By Tiepo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
  2. Absolute newbie here...can't write to XP NTFS volume
    By tofergregg in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:31 AM
  3. Rescue ntfs files
    By alb1954 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
  4. Deleting files to make room for new Knoppix ISO Image
    By Gnu Penguin in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 12:27 AM
  5. deleting files
    By Dinant in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s picture

RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s

$399.99