-
Knoppix Live CD will not boot on my laptop
I bought a book called Linux for dummies which came with a liveCD that contains Knoppix. I boot Knoppix from the LiveCD because I only have 1 hard drive. When installing Knoppix it reaches a certain point something about DHCP and IP and does not load any further. I am a newbie and had some spare time so I wanted to learn about Linux and other os than Windows...
I am wondering if it is because I only have 1 hard drive and have not made a partition for Knoppix? I also have some confusion with what exactly and ISO file is... I believe its just a file that can covert something like a file to a cd or dvd ..
Please Please someone respond and help me I have no clue what is wrong!! If you need me to give you specific info about my computer to help me fix the problem my email address is [email protected]
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix Live CD will not boot on my laptop

Originally Posted by
redbarono9
I am wondering if it is because I only have 1 hard drive and have not made a partition for Knoppix? I also have some confusion with what exactly and ISO file is... I believe its just a file that can covert something like a file to a cd or dvd ..
I don't have the book, so I'm not 100% certain that the disk that comes with it is bootable, but I certainly expect that it should be. As long as it is, you should be able to boot it; what is on your hard disk isn't important, you don't even need a hard disk. Knoppix is intended to run directly from the CD.
If you can't get it to boot, you might need to help the hardware detection along with something called "cheat codes". If you can't get to the boot prompt at all, your BIOS might not be set right to boot a CD, or if your BIOS is very old and does not support booting from CD then you many need a helper progam like Smart Boot Manager. I would start by following the Documentation link near the top of this page and reading the Downloading FAQ and the Cheat Codes section.
The ISO is the way that Knoppix is stored for download over the Internet. It's a standard disk image format that allows the entire files system including the boot information to be stored in one downloadable file. If you have an ISO you need to burn a CD with it. If you have never done this, follow the instructions in the Dowloading FAQ, don't burn a CD without reading this.
Similar Threads
-
By crgaylor in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
-
By Chris2222 in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-24-2008, 06:44 PM
-
By zillah in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
-
By mapmatthew in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 03:05 PM
-
By bxb32001 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE
$225.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone
$699.99

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE
$149.00

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07