Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't Get PCI Card to Work

  1. #1

    Can't Get PCI Card to Work

    Hello,

    I have an IBM Pentium III 663MHz PC (desktop) which I've been trying to get a Linux Distro to work on with Networking successfully. I know it can be done, because this box has been loaded with an early version of Redhat and operated as a web server.

    I wanted to start fresh so I wiped the system clean with Redhat 8 - which was able to come up quickly and correctly detect the network card that was installed. However it could not "initialize" the card. I knew that Redhat 8 had some issues, so I installed Redhat 7.2. The results were the same.

    So know I've taken out the "big guns" - as it seems that Knoppix (4.0.2 in my case) will work with just about everything. But the results, sadly, are not much different.

    PCI is my only choice as the IBM only has PCI slots. I have two NICs that I've tried - and the results are pretty much the same:

    Card #1: This was the card that has been in there when the box was a web server -
    3Com 10/100 TX Fast Etherlink XL PCI 2 - 3c905B-TX NM

    All three distros are able to probe the card correctly and select (what I would guess to be) the correct driver. I've tried to an IP through DHCP and also be assigning it an IP - neither case worked.


    Card #2: (Test individually - not at the same time as card #1) -
    D-Link DFE-530TX REV-A1

    All three distros were also able to select the correct driver for this card. I tried both DHCP and hard-coding an IP. When I assigned the DLink an IP, and tried to ping my router, I could see the transmitt light flash on each "ping".

    In both cases when the I assigned the IP, ping reported that the network was un-reachable. When I tried to configure them for DHCP they would time-out.

    The router/DHCP server that I'm using is a Linksys Etherfast cable/dsl router - which works great as I'm going through it now to post this message.

    While I wait back for some suggestions on how to get either one of these cards to work I am installing Win98 just to veryify that the NICs still work. (There is something wrong with that)

    Thanks!
    CF

  2. #2

    Success!

    For all those poor souls who happen to stumble across my original post and are curious to know if Iwas ever able to get either of the two network cards installed, the answer is YES. But sadly, if you're having problems I won't be able to give you much help.

    It ended up that I had a bad network cable along the way - which I discovered when I tested the line for a second time.

    So, yes, Knoppix 4.0.2 can indeed get to the network right off the CD. (The 3com 3c905B-TX card has been validated - have not yet tried the dlink since the line has been fixed).


    -CF

Similar Threads

  1. PCM Wireless card does not work
    By cliffd7 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 08:30 PM
  2. Cannot get WPA to work. Card doesn't support it?
    By Matthew87 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 11:33 PM
  3. help getting tv card to work.
    By mduduzi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. What wireless card will just work?
    By gamezealot in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 12:19 AM
  5. How I got my sound card to work
    By croeiii in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 05:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6 DDR4 PC4-2666V 4x32GB (128GB) ECC Server Memory picture

Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6 DDR4 PC4-2666V 4x32GB (128GB) ECC Server Memory

$599.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM M393A2K40BB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM M393A2K40BB2-CTD6Q

$650.00



4x8GB Samsung DDR4 2133MHz PC4-2133P 1Rx4 ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB Sansumg picture

4x8GB Samsung DDR4 2133MHz PC4-2133P 1Rx4 ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB Sansumg

$149.99



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99