Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: System freezes when starting Gnome

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8

    System freezes when starting Gnome

    I've got a problem. I rebooted my system, and it has never re-booted fully. The last line on the screen is:

    Starting GNOME Display Manager: gdm

    it has been on that line, with the cursor blinking for about an hour now. I have no idea what to do. I've got KnoppMyth R5A16

    UPDATE:
    Okay -- I am able to get into the system using SSH from another computer -- but every command takes about 5 minutes to execute. The monitor on the frozen/slow system STILL remains on the line I noted above. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8

    Update

    The system finally finished booting-up, after 6 hours.

    Now I'm re-booting to see if it will occur again, and it's definitely S L O W -- now it's stuck on:

    Starting internet superserver: inetd.

    I think once it boots up I'll just install Debian, without Knoppix. and I figured out I was running Linux mythtv 2.6.11.9-chw-2

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    strange booting issues & system slowness are usually (usually) atributed to a bad CDR. Please read through all the questions in the Donwnloading FAQ as there are ways to make usre you have a perfect burn. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8
    I've read through the issues regarding bad burns. I do not believe that is the problem, as the system has been running for at least 10 days without a problem.

    I'll keep working on it.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. System freezes up
    By MikeAA in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
  2. Konqueror & Mozilla Freezes System
    By Jamesc359 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:22 PM
  3. 'ifup ra0 up' freezes system
    By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:09 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 11:02 PM
  5. After logout system freezes
    By kriko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99