Evince & both GNOME are great but with KDE as the default desktop and since the Knoppix CD version does not include GNOME I suspect that if acrobat reader is not the default, then KPDF will be the default.
There may be reasons for your decision of including adobe as the pdf reader that I am not aware of, but on all grounds known to me, I would heartily endorse the inclusion of evince as the default pdf viewer:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/
Best regards,
Samsara
.
Evince & both GNOME are great but with KDE as the default desktop and since the Knoppix CD version does not include GNOME I suspect that if acrobat reader is not the default, then KPDF will be the default.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to compare the features of kpdf and evince at the moment, although I have a feeling that evince would come out ahead - it really is a breath of fresh air after years of xpdf and gpdf. In fact, it's rather similar to "Preview" of Mac OS X. It supports pdf and ps, has thumbnails, searches with highlighting, and most of all, a wonderful and straightforward UI.
As for CD vs. DVD, my understanding was that from now on, there would be no more CD versions of Knoppix for space reasons, and since GNOME is on the DVD, evince seems a viable option. As always, a list of the dependencies is here:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/gnome/evince
Maybe someone could diff that list against the list of packages on the DVD?
Best regards,
Samsara
.
As I understand it, you may be incorrect.As for CD vs. DVD, my understanding was that from now on, there would be no more CD versions of Knoppix for space reasons
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0.1DVDBecause of many updates and technical improvements in the meantime since the 4.0 DVD, work on the Knoppix "light" CD release has been delayed somewhat. The CD version will be released in a few days from now, and will also be available for download at the usual locations on the KNOPPIX Mirrors soon.
On evince vs kpdf, I believe they use the same "libpdf" backend called poplar. If so, then much of all the comparisons will be on UI features and desktop integration and less on PDF compatibility/rendering. Every once in a while I will get a PDF that uses a new obscure feature that requires the official adobe acrobat but for most tasks & PDFs, evince or kpdf is good enough to replace official adobe acrobat as the default viewer.unionfs is broken again, but not as heavily as in 3.9. If you install certain packages with dpkg or apt-get, a kernel oops can happen, though it doesn't freeze the system. This is quite bad for people (like me) who like to test-install new software on the live system, so because of this (and the prior reported bugs) there will be a hotfix of the 4.0.2 DVD soon (probably even before I get a chance to finish the CD).
For both reading and creating PDF files I use Ghostview. It's a great companion to Abiword.
In Abiword you can save the file as a Postscript file.
That done, you open it with Ghostview -- (which also reads PS files).
With the PS file open you can then save it as a PDF file.
It's a very fast! PDF file reader too.
sakiZ

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$99.00