-
Unable to log in unix system. Please Help!
I have Knoppix version 3.7. I have used it in the past. I put the cd in and started my computer and it boots fine. The desktop comes up and I click on the Terminal icon in order to enter my information needed to log into the UNIX system at my shcool. I enter it in the following example:
slogin [email protected]
Upon entering my information and hitting enter, I get the following message:
shh: connect to host d30.ucs.mycollege.edu port 30: No route to host
Today I put the cd in the computer at work and it worked fine. I could log into my shcools UNIX system, but I can't get it to work on my computer at home.
I would really appreciate any help with this problem.
Thanks!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
No route to host means something is wrong with the network when used at home. You will need to provide us some more info. Does networking work at all when used from home? Can you access the internet?
-
help
Yes, I can access the internet. I can access the internet when I am using Knoppix. I just can't connect to my school via the terminal. I can telnet within Windows XP and as said before, I was able to log into the schools system with no problem.
What information do you need from me that may help you help me!
-
Any suggestions
I don't understand why I can use the internet while I am using knoppix but can't log into the system at school. It works every where else but on my computer. I don't get it!
PLEASE HELP! I'm begging you! Well begging is a bit much; I'm asking in a desparate way!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Any suggestions

Originally Posted by
f15e_kjd
I don't understand why I can use the internet while I am using knoppix but can't log into the system at school. It works every where else but on my computer. I don't get it!
I don't understand why either. But I can point you to a tool that will help you find out why.
Knoppix includes a copy of ethereal, a very good packet sniffing program. You should be able to fire up ethereal and sniff the internet connection and watch the raw packets to see at just what point things go wrong. To make your life really easy I would suggest capturing the packets for a sucessful connection at some location, then going home where it isn't working for you and seeing what the last good/ first bad packet is. That should help you zero in on it; it's the knid of thing I have to do when I have this kind of a vexing network problem.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
P.S. If i'm understanding you properly you can access from home if you use windows, just not with Knoppix. If that is the case, then you could learn all you need from that one location by watching your packets on both Windows and then on Knoppix. It would be the "best" test too, since you would be going through the same router, modem, ISP equipment and so on.
You can't watch the Windows box with Knoppix and ethereal unless you have a hub to share the signal (a switch will not normally let you see traffic for other systems). But yoy can get a copy of ethereal that runs under windows and watch the connection that way.
-
So, ethereal is a tool within the Knoppix software? I will look for it and see what I can get from it. It's odd b/c I used it in the Spring 2005 semester and haven't touched it again until now and it's crapping out on me!
Similar Threads
-
By KnoppixIsOk in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-23-2007, 11:27 PM
-
By animestome in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2006, 01:26 AM
-
By wquay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
-
By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
-
By evermuse in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99