Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: BIOS won't boot from DVD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3

    BIOS won't boot from DVD

    So, I downloaded Knoppix 4.0 and burnt the ISO to a dvd-r. I restarted my system and noticed that it didn't look for the dvd rom drive like it does the cd rom, so I went into my BIOS to try and set it to do so. The only problem is that in my BIOS it only lets me choose CD Rom Drive, Hard Disk, or Floppy drive to boot from. I can reagrrange their order or uncheck them but it won't let me add my Dvd Rom to the list. I've searched around the Forums and couldn't figure out how to do this, so any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    While BIOSs tend to only mention CD, usually they will boot from either CD or DVD. Some BIOSs seem to only boot from the first (master) optical drive though and don't check the other drives. Is you DVD the slave? If so you might want to make it the master and the CD the slave.

    If all else fails you can look at Smart Boot Manager or XOSL. With Smart Boot Manager you can make a floppy that will let you boot from any of the optical drives. Even better, you can install it right to your hard disk master boot record (MBR) and it will come up each time you boot, giving you the option to boot windows and/or any other OS on the hard disk or boot from any optical drive or floppy. XOSL is even nicer, more powerful and has a much cleaner looking user interface. It uses the SBM code internally to do the optical drive boot. It is slightly more complex to set up and does need a little hard disk space (I suggest giving XOSL it's own tiny partition, just a few meg in size), but I use both XOSL and SBM and generally I like XOSL a lot more.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Well, my BIOS now recognized my DVD rom drive but it won't boot from it. As far as I can tell it's not the media's fault because it woudln't boot my knoppix 3.8 disc, which did boot in my CDR drive. I'd really like to not have to set my DVDR as the master. So, with the Smart Boot Manager, I put it onto a diskett with both the main exe and it's support file, but when I tell my computer to boot from floppy it doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for the help.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by samo21
    ...I put it onto a diskett with both the main exe and it's support file, but when I tell my computer to boot from floppy it doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?
    Yup, you don't put the 2 files onto the DVD, you run the exe (from hard disk and from a DOS prompt) and it creates a bootable floppy (or installs to the hard disk MBR, depending on the options you give it).

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Linux with old BIOS
    By pybass in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:02 PM
  2. Can't boot from CD, Bios doesn't recognize the CD drive
    By yukichigai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 09:35 PM
  3. how to boot knop. from usb-hd with unsupported bios-usb-boot
    By hollex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
  4. boot problem - my BIOS?
    By iwasnthere in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
  5. boot from cd without bios access?
    By paddyponchero in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Dell PowerEdge R420 Server 2x Xeon E5-2440 v2 1.90GHz, 16GB , 8 Caddies NO HHD picture

Dell PowerEdge R420 Server 2x Xeon E5-2440 v2 1.90GHz, 16GB , 8 Caddies NO HHD

$199.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99