-
Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm
Hi. I downloaded and burned the Knoppix cd yesterday and it loads fine on my old machine: AMD K6-2 500, Ax59pro, 320MB, 6 & 30 GIG, Liteon CD, AOpen CRW1232pro, SB 16, Diamond Stealth S111 540 AGP,...
It won't load on my newer machine: Athlon XP1800+, ECS K7VMM, 256MB, 40 GIG, Liteon DVD, Atapi CD-RW, integrated audio and lan, ATI TV Wonder, SIS 315 AG AGP,...
I have tried many of the cheat codes and when I use vga=normal I get as far as: uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel. Nothing after that. Failsafe gets me to a page of text with: ESR value before enabling vector : 00000002. The cursor blinks at the bottom of this page and then nothing else happens. Most of the other codes get me to: loading vmlinu2.........loading miniroot.gz............ then I just get a pale green screen and nothing else. I'm sure hoping someone can help me out. Thanks. PS: I tried disabling the sound and the TV Wonder card too.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm

Originally Posted by
Kimberley
Hi. I downloaded and burned the Knoppix cd yesterday... It won't load on my newer machine: Athlon XP1800+, ECS K7VMM, 256MB, 40 GIG, Liteon DVD, Atapi CD-RW, integrated audio and lan, ATI TV Wonder, SIS 315 AG AGP...
This motherboard has on-board integrated video. I think that's part of your problem. Frankly, the SiS 315 card is equal to (or only marginally better than) the integrated S3 Savage 4 stuff. My recommendation would be to remove the SiS-based card and enable the integrated video. If you choose not to go that route, re-check your BIOS settings to ensure that the on-board video is turned off.
I think that compatibility will be better if you pull the SiS card, unless you have a strong reason not to.
-
Re: Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm
Thanks Loper. Yes, I disabled the onboard video. It was sharing 32MB RAM and I only have 256. The SIS has 64Megs of its own and after I installed it I was finally able to get my son's C&C Renegade game installed. Any other suggestions?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm

Originally Posted by
Kimberley
..after I installed it I was finally able to get my son's C&C Renegade game installed. Any other suggestions?
That would qualify as a "good reason". I downloaded and checked the board manual. There are some BIOS settings that may help.
1. Go to the BIOS setup screen.
2. Select the PCI / Plug and Play Setup menu.
3. Turn OFF Plug and Play Aware OS (this won't affect Windows).
4. Ensure that Primary Graphics Adapter is set for AGP.
5. Set Allocate IRQ for PCI VGA to NO.
6. Please report back with results, especially if this doesn't work.
-
Re: Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm
Thanks again Loper. When I installed the SiS card I did steps 4 and 5 so I know the video is running from the SiS AGP and not the onboard video. I was looking around in the forums earlier and saw the neg on Plug and Play so I tried that but it didn't work. I turned it back on after. It was worth a try though.
-
does run on an amd1800+
I am running an amd 1800+ processor and have had no problems gettin knoppix3.2 to run on my computer other than a dsl connection although it does find my erethranet card so I am still trying to find out what the problem is everything else works even my hp1120cxi printer with knoppix3.2 04-18-en version of knoppix when you first fire your computer make sure you go into your cmos settings and select the cdrom as you fir boot device the put your disk in turn on computer and wait a short time and it should load you might want to down load the 04-18-en version in iso form the make a cd with nero under windows by running nero then under file select burn an image, that should help you create a cd that
will boot from your computer,If I can be of any additional assistance you can email me [email protected] besure the dots are in or I canot get your emails,respectfully,Hazen meek
-
Re: Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm
Thanks for your reply hazenmeek. The image I downloaded and burned with Nero is the same one: KNOPPIX-V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.ISO. I already set my bios to boot from the CD first. No big deal though. I can play around with Knoppix on my old computer. Thanks again.
-
K7VMM is the problem
Hi,
The problem is not Video card or any other setup in BIOS, problem is motherboard
which has problems with 2.4.x kernels (2.2.x works good). I only could boot Suse kernels and the new Red hat 9.0. So Knoppix doesn't work into your pc. Only way is try to compile these kernels and make your own knoppix. (I will try that if I have time to do so ..)
-
Kzvmm motherboard
Thanks tuxtaxdani, nice to know.
I won't waste any more time on it.
-
Knoppix won't start.
Well it seems like I am in the same boat!
I have an AMD Duron running at 1100 mhz.
When I put the knoppx cd in it starts but hangs immediately.
I tried failsafe mode it hangs after this line:
ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002
How do if find out what motherboard I'm running?
My graphics adapter is on-board.
Regards from Denmark!
Dan.
Similar Threads
-
By Juste in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 09:51 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 04:21 PM
-
By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
-
By spydie in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 12-30-2003, 06:49 AM
-
By cul971 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95