-
Senior Member
registered user
1-Click-Warehouse for ~/dist programs
As more and more install scripts are floating around, I'm wondering whether we could start a "1-Click-Warehouse" like Lindows.com, free of course. The advantage would be that you could surf there and install precompiled programs to your ~/dist with just one click.
Btw, does anyone know how it is technically done at lindows.com? I think they use a modified apt-get..
[UPDATE] It's done. http://klik.berlios.de/ [/UPDATE]
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could make a website with links : Click here to install _blah_
You could use Konsole to pop up a teminal.
This is using konqueror as web browser, not sure if it would work on Mozilla.
Could host it here if you want.
-
This is a kool idea. I assume it is/would be only for the Knoppix distro, or would it work with others like Libranet etc.?
paul
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: 1-Click-Warehouse for ~/dist programs?

Originally Posted by
probono
As more and more install scripts are floating around, I'm wondering whether we could start a "1-Click-Warehouse" like Lindows.com, free of course. The advantage would be that you could surf there and install precompiled programs to your ~/dist with just one click.
Btw, does anyone know how it is technically done at lindows.com? I think they use a modified apt-get..
My live-installer does this. As soon as I have more time. Next week I think, I'll collect all scripts and make a HUGE update for the live-installer.
PS: I like the idea with the website!
cu
Fabian
-
Senior Member
registered user
Probono,
Cool idea. I hope the website idea materializes somehow.
Fabianix, do you know if Klaus will be adding your live installer to Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Heh, nice idea! In my latest release (0.3-5) you can (finally) install .deb's on-the-fly from the liveCD, together with this and you'd be able to do some pretty nifty stuff 
Anyway, interested in your live-installer Fabian, i'll bug you about it next time i spot you on irc
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eadz
good idea, but doesn't seem to work. blah does, but as soon as I try to add any arguments it stops working.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Alextreme
In my latest release (0.3-5) you can (finally) install .deb's on-the-fly from the liveCD
That's really a killer feature! Do you use the overlay fileszstem for this? I finally found out a method to install .deb without an overlay filesystem. It's completely manually, however.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yups, it uses translucency. I'm even starting to make scripts to 'install' a number of debian packages into a minimodule, and have them linked into the filesystem at boot (this is pretty fast for a large number of packages, as dpkg'ing takes time
).
This way, you'd either install (or in the future apt-get) new packages live from CD, or you could have certain metapackages/modules that would be addable with the iso-builder or multisession cd's. Finally those minimodules seem to be getting shape, took some time :P
However, now i'll need some form of website (a la packages.debain.org or your warehouse) to facilitate in live-downloading and installing. And dependancy handling. Oh well, ya have to keep yourself busy
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Alextreme
Yups, it uses translucency. I'm even starting to make scripts to 'install' a number of debian packages into a minimodule, and have them linked into the filesystem at boot (this is pretty fast for a large number of packages, as dpkg'ing takes time

).
This way, you'd either install (or in the future apt-get) new packages live from CD, or you could have certain metapackages/modules that would be addable with the iso-builder or multisession cd's. Finally those minimodules seem to be getting shape, took some time :P
However, now i'll need some form of website (a la packages.debain.org or your warehouse) to facilitate in live-downloading and installing. And dependancy handling. Oh well, ya have to keep yourself busy

apt-get works. So why don't use it ?
If it does not work for you, try the solution from my live-installer. I got apt working.
cu
Fabian
Similar Threads
-
By knopx4me in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-06-2005, 08:06 PM
-
By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:28 AM
-
By naoliv in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 02:16 PM
-
By Dallas Eschenauer in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-06-2003, 09:19 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-26-2003, 10:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

Intel Core i7-11700KF 3.60GHz 8 Core SRKNN 16 Thread LGA 1200 USED
$180.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99