Try the procedure I suggested in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20504
Good luck!
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to Knoppix, although Im finding it very easy to use. I apologise if my problem seems fairly mundane to the experts!
My problem is that Im trying to save stuff from my KDE desktop to my hard drive (and USB Flash drive), and even though my hard drive (and USB Drive) is supported, I cant seem to write to it.
I have disabled the "read only" box in "Properties", "Device" and when I look at the permissions for the device, they are rwx (red write and executable if I remember correctly) for the user, group and other.
When I try copy files to the devices, I'm told that "You cannot write to a device that you dont have write permission for". Writing using the Terminal tells me that the device is "Read-Only" format, even though I have this disabled, and enabled rwx properties for all.
Is there some other thing I need to enable (or disable) in order to write to my devices?
Thanks and regards,
Jim O Doherty
Try the procedure I suggested in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20504
Good luck!
That worked perfectly, thanks a million for sorting this out! I was beginning to think I should throw the PC through the window and it might be fixed!
Jim
Hi. I have a similar problem.
I attached my USB key to my computer slot and 3 new hard drive icons appear on the desktop. When I double-click any icon, or when I try to mount, I get the error: "Unable to detect filesystem." Do you know how I can go about this?
Thanks.

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640
$54.99
Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
$44.99
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket
$249.99