Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Stops booting after auto config

  1. #1

    Stops booting after auto config

    Alrighty, so I downloaded knoppix, to letyou know off hand. I have never used linux in my life before. So a freind guided me through it. When I first tryed it I would just get a black screen after the boot prompt. Then I was given some cheats, and the only one that would get me past the first thing that shows up which would be

    "uncompressing linux, ok, booting kernel"

    would be the cheat "failsafe" and that would bring me right up to all the funky coloured text. Once I got there there was a thing called auto configuration, it had a green loading bar, the bar would load, the blinking cursor would go the the next line. Then taht would be it. It would stop. Im not sure what I can do. Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Try the cheat code knoppix expert which will boot asking a serise of questions. Answer them to the best of your ability and take notes. If you hit a point where you get a hang, try again and change the answer to your last question. Post back here with your answers and the point at which the process fails. Letting people know what computer make and model you have might help us help you also.

  3. #3
    Thanks kind stranger, I have 3.7 downlaoding now, but once thats finishes, ill give that a try. Thank you

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Stops booting after auto config

    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlingVenom
    would be the cheat "failsafe" and that would bring me right up to all the funky coloured text. Once I got there there was a thing called auto configuration, it had a green loading bar, the bar would load, the blinking cursor would go the the next line. Then taht would be it. It would stop. Im not sure what I can do. Any help would be much appreciated.
    What version of Knoppix? What type of system? Have a look at the cheatcodes page, especially the Tips&Tricks section. It sounds like your machine is failing on some kind of hardware detection. If 'failsafe' almost works, try boot: failsafe nohwsetup 1. This should drop you into a text prompt. If you get that far, simply type 'reboot' to reboot your machine. Are you able to get that far?

    Do you have another system on which to try Knoppix?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    Same problem with v3.9 even while using "expert"

    Hi,
    I too am a newbie to Linux. I am facing the same problem with Knoppix v3.9 even after using the "expert" cheat. Somebody please help me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Same problem with v3.9 even while using "expert&quo

    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Somebody please help me.
    No problem. What's the question? What are you having problems with? What have you tried?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    Auto Config hangs in Knoppix v3.9 booting

    Hi,
    I would like to know how to start my Live CD of Knoppix v3.9 which hangs after the auto configuration. I have tried the same with "expert" cheat but in vain.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Auto Config hangs in Knoppix v3.9 booting

    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    I would like to know how to start my Live CD of Knoppix v3.9 which hangs after the auto configuration. I have tried the same with "expert" cheat but in vain.
    Have a look at the CheatCodes docs, especially the Tips&Tricks. Of those boot commands listed, which ones have you tried and how far did you get with each?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9
    I have the same problem, on an old PII I've tried to run Knoppix on. I noticed even failsafe and -b have no effect. The CDROM is never locked, and I can eject it when the black screen appears. So at first I suspected the CD drive, but I get the same error even if I boot from an ISO file with bootfrom.


    My best guess is that 3.9 is not compiled with generic 386 support, and requires at least a PIII support. But this is just a guess. I do know the boot options make no difference.

    I used Gnoppix on the same machine, without problems. Unfortunately, Gnoppix is much less feature complete than Knoppix and the install option doesn't work with Gnoppix. The ubuntu version Gnoppix is based on is even less feature complete. So I would really prefere to get Knoppix working on the old computer.

    Bill

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, now I'm baffled. This is the first time I could not boot KNOPPIX ever! I've been using KNOPPIX since version 2.2....

    Anyway, I think it has to do with some new hardware in these new PIV boxes I just got installed at school. The liveCD is booting off an internal usb cdrom. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Anyway, it boots up to the point where "KNOPPIX version 2.78" or somesuch shows up, right after autodetect. Is there a problem with usb cdroms for booting live?

    TIA,
    AJG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. booting stops at line: Looking for CD in:/dev/hda
    By liviu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 06:34 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8: booting stops at eth0
    By rgruhn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 05:30 AM
  3. [hp omnibook 510] Stops booting
    By JJzD in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
  4. Stops booting
    By davidhalo2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
  5. booting up stops at..
    By madLyfe in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00