I tried the GISKnoppix LiveCD on my up-to-date Ubuntu 5.04 installation. I
downloaded the ISO 27Aug2005 and verified the MD5. I
burned a CD and booted it. It came up fine, and I tried a number of the
applications. I did not save anything (knowingly) to local disk, but I did
access the local disk to verify that it was mounted.
Now when I cold boot Ubuntu, there is a 5 MINUTE (!) delay between typing my
username/password and seeing the GNOME Desktop. In between, the mouse works, but
all I get is a blank tan screen. Once it comes up, everything seems to be in
order. I notice no further delays.
I can log into the machine via SSH over a LAN during the delay period, and the
machine appears to be running just fine.
The LiveCD (which uses KDE) obviously scrogged something. Can anybody give me a
hint how to get my system back to its nice, fast performance?
I'm guessing the LiveCD somehow messed up the HW probe, but what to do next is a
mystery to me.
Thanks in advance for any help.

LOT OF 8 Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3
$1849.95
SK Hynix 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-11 RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram
$960.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
SET OF 8 (64GB) - Micron MTA9ASF1G72PZ 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2666V-RD1-11 Memory
$225.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q
$144.95
Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00