Is there any success with the 4.02 HDD installer ?
I have the same kernel panic. I already posted it here.
Some problems with the /dev permissions. Does anyone know ?
Why will you try another download? Did you download from the mirrors, which are known to have corruption issues? Did you not check the md5 sum, a very simple step that would completely assure you that you have a good download or save you lots of time by letting you know that the download was corrupt?Originally Posted by lotech
Is there any success with the 4.02 HDD installer ?
I have the same kernel panic. I already posted it here.
Some problems with the /dev permissions. Does anyone know ?
Success every time with installing 4.0.2, using two different DVD s from two different sources.
But it won't run X. It always stops with a message:
'Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager'
followed by a range of dma timeouts, etc.
and crashes.
Maybe one of the cheat codes would help? dma? - so many, how and when to access?; any suggestions, please?
OG.
Well folks I must have been very lucky! 4.02 installed like a breeze ( HP 733n w/ 120GB HD Maxtor & 512 ram) The only problem I had was it killed the network and I had to like Ewan said do the sudo routine and redo the network setup. Detection went fine though I had a couple of confusing moments when it would not tell me if it was seeing eth0 or 1. The "ifconfig" cmd solved that issue. BTW, thanks for the info on the DVD burning issues lotech. I generally burn mine at usb 1.1 speeds but youer info explains why I am getting so many coasters on the dvd-r's I've tried to write.
In Service - I Remain,
Captain Cautious

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99