Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Any success installing DVD to HD?

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech
    I got the same Kernel panic problem with the 4.02 CD HD install, I will try another download.
    Why will you try another download? Did you download from the mirrors, which are known to have corruption issues? Did you not check the md5 sum, a very simple step that would completely assure you that you have a good download or save you lots of time by letting you know that the download was corrupt?

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    Is there any success with the 4.02 HDD installer ?

    I have the same kernel panic. I already posted it here.

    Some problems with the /dev permissions. Does anyone know ?

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Success every time with installing 4.0.2, using two different DVD s from two different sources.
    But it won't run X. It always stops with a message:
    'Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager'
    followed by a range of dma timeouts, etc.
    and crashes.
    Maybe one of the cheat codes would help? dma? - so many, how and when to access?; any suggestions, please?
    OG.

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    Well folks I must have been very lucky! 4.02 installed like a breeze ( HP 733n w/ 120GB HD Maxtor & 512 ram) The only problem I had was it killed the network and I had to like Ewan said do the sudo routine and redo the network setup. Detection went fine though I had a couple of confusing moments when it would not tell me if it was seeing eth0 or 1. The "ifconfig" cmd solved that issue. BTW, thanks for the info on the DVD burning issues lotech. I generally burn mine at usb 1.1 speeds but youer info explains why I am getting so many coasters on the dvd-r's I've tried to write.

    In Service - I Remain,
    Captain Cautious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone remastered 5.3.1 with success?
    By the_idealist100 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 12:58 AM
  2. Success Story
    By jimbo62 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
  3. DVD....TORAM...(Success!)
    By lilsirecho in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:45 AM
  4. NETODRAGON success!!!!
    By MethodMan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 09:12 PM
  5. The Key Success Factor
    By Facteur in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00