-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: moderate sucess

Originally Posted by
kooladi
I was able to generate a 512 mb sized Knoppix version. However, when I start it, It gives me an error that IPC couldnt be started and therefore hangs and then just never boots.
Have I un-installed something necessary. I installed Hindi locales and a true type hindi font to get it up and running. It does ask me in the start as to what language do I want from my system .
Aprreciate your help.
[Status : Trying Underscore's How -To again. Its 4:20 in the morning here]
That Undescore's How-To is good enogh to do a remastered version of Knoppix but, of course, not perfect. There's so many minor things to take care of, but anyhow, that how-to really works.
So your problem with IPC could have something to do with Sys V Init. In your case I would install it afresh:
Code:
apt-get install sysvinit
That should take care of right configuration at the same time.
That 512 MB Knoppix version... I can't undestand. I can even make larger remastered version than fits to a CD and boot it from HD:
Code:
boot: linux bootfrom=/dev/hde_partition/Remastered_Knoppix.iso
I think that 2 GB is the limit (not tried remastering DVD version yet)
First I have moved that new version to the root of that partition with mc (Midnight Commander) nad renamed it e.g. knoppix.iso. Doing like this saves efforts doing CD every time.
My hints for remastering localized versions is:
First install localepurge:
Code:
apt-get install localepurge
Then reconfigure locales:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
and keep only english and your own locale.
Then remove kde-i18n* packages:
Code:
apt-get --purge remove kde-i18n*
That removes all KDE's language package but english.
Then install your own language package:
Code:
apt-get install kde-i18n-hi
Now you have only hindish and english package.
The last thing after removing / installing programs is to run deborphan.
Code:
deborphan > packages
apt-get --purge remove `cat packages`
There's many other things as booting directly to your own language etc. that are not mentioned in UndesScore's How-To but you would like to take care of. Just reading this forum helps to get those things settled.
Don't forget to choose cleanup when doing compressed filesystem.
One thing more. I always install configure-debian package wit apt-get, too. It's much easier to do configuration with menu based program than configurating by hand. In your state I would choose base configuration from that menu.
Sometimes it could be easier to start from the beginning and make a new remastering than try to repair a damaged one, if you are not aguinted with Debian system and know how things should be done. I always keep a backup from /var/cache/apt/archive files because they are cleaned with 'apt-get clean' if cleaning compressed fs is choosed. So it is easy to do a new remastering when you have all packages downloaded before.
P.S. I'm trying to do a remastered Gnome version of Knoppix and have also got in troubles because of removing some base packages. Now everyting works but after init begins I got a modprobe warning: "Error inserting genrtc" (Device or resource busy). Sometimes it's really tricky.
Hope this helps someone with remastering.
-tapsa-
Similar Threads
-
By mohit.jain.india in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
-
By djh-world in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By gessi2000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99