-
Slow access to USB hard drive
Hi all,
After more than a bit of a struggle, I managed to hook up my Western Digital Media Centre (250 Gb external USB hard drive) to a Knoppix 3.9 boot-up in a desperate attempt to rescue my data from a crashed WinXP installation.
I can see the internal hard drive and all the data, I also mounted the external hard drive and gained RW access to it.
I started to transfer the data (~22 Gb), which is happening, but at the current rate I think it will take about a month to finish! (The file copy message generally says "Stalled" in the transfer rate section)
Any pointers to how to improve the transfer speed and my chances of ending-up before the year ends?
Thanks in advance,
Rafael
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Slow access to USB hard drive

Originally Posted by
rafaelorta
I started to transfer the data (~22 Gb), which is happening, but at the current rate I think it will take about a month to finish! (The file copy message generally says "Stalled" in the transfer rate section)
Any pointers to how to improve the transfer speed and my chances of ending-up before the year ends?
Sounds like your drive is using USB1.1 drivers instead of the USB2.0 drivers.
You have three options:
1) figure out how to get your device to use the USB2.0 drivers
2) switch to FireWire (ieee1394)
3) do the transfer over the network
Personally, I've had much better luck with FireWire than USB, but YMMV.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sounds like it is a problem of the ub support in Knoppix 3.9 kernel. The ub support is known to cause slow data transfer rate. It is lucky that newer version of Knoppix, i.e. 4.0+, already removed this nasty bitch. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20466
There are another two options:
1. use a newer version of Knoppix to do your task
2. use other LiveCD (such as Kanotix or SystemRescueCD) that don't have the ub support in kernel to recover your data
-

Originally Posted by
d00m3d
Sounds like it is a problem of the ub support in Knoppix 3.9 kernel. The ub support is known to cause slow data transfer rate. It is lucky that newer version of Knoppix, i.e. 4.0+, already removed this nasty bitch.
No, actually they haven't. In fact, I'm currently trying to find a way to build a custom kernel to remove this problem from an install I did with the 4.0 DVD.
Now, if there's a cheatcode I missed that turns this off, I'd love to be proven wrong (would save me quite a bit of time).
Similar Threads
-
By dealrocker in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
-
By martynball in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
-
By boombihead in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-20-2006, 11:04 AM
-
By poldervaart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
-
By Colonel Sanders in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 04:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$145.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD
$19.90

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Western Digital WD101EFBX-68B0AN0 10TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5" Red Plus 7200RPM
$250.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99