Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Writing to hard disk (and USB device) from KDE - New User

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Writing to hard disk (and USB device) from KDE - New User

    Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to Knoppix, although Im finding it very easy to use. I apologise if my problem seems fairly mundane to the experts!
    My problem is that Im trying to save stuff from my KDE desktop to my hard drive (and USB Flash drive), and even though my hard drive (and USB Drive) is supported, I cant seem to write to it.
    I have disabled the "read only" box in "Properties", "Device" and when I look at the permissions for the device, they are rwx (red write and executable if I remember correctly) for the user, group and other.
    When I try copy files to the devices, I'm told that "You cannot write to a device that you dont have write permission for". Writing using the Terminal tells me that the device is "Read-Only" format, even though I have this disabled, and enabled rwx properties for all.

    Is there some other thing I need to enable (or disable) in order to write to my devices?

    Thanks and regards,

    Jim O Doherty

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Try the procedure I suggested in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20504

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    That worked perfectly, thanks a million for sorting this out! I was beginning to think I should throw the PC through the window and it might be fixed!

    Jim

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1
    Hi. I have a similar problem.

    I attached my USB key to my computer slot and 3 new hard drive icons appear on the desktop. When I double-click any icon, or when I try to mount, I get the error: "Unable to detect filesystem." Do you know how I can go about this?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. can't mount SATA hard disk -special device /dev/sda0 does no
    By transistortoaster in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
  2. Writing to Hard Disk on Windows XP
    By eeoam in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 04:12 PM
  3. Writing 2 windows file systems after booting from Hard disk
    By Mr_White in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
  4. writing on windows xp partition hard disk
    By francy222 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
  5. Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
    By conor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00