Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: What happens to my PC?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50

    What happens to my PC?

    Ok, I've never used Linux before or even seen ti, but I've always been interested in it.

    I'm currently downloading the 3.9 cd version, i've heard that its' buggy, but i'm halfway through downloading, so I guess i'l just put up with it!

    What will happen to my PC when I boot off the cd? Will my files be changed or anything? If I use Knoppix for a bit then reboot normally will everything be as it was? I currenty don't have any way of backing anything up...

    Any advice? What should I expect when I have loaded Knoppix?

    Thanks for your help,

    Rich

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Hi Rich,

    Knoppix runs entirely from cd; it will not touch your hard drive(s) unless you tell it to do so.

    Make sure you read the documentation on checking md5 sums and burning the iso on cd. This will help you to avoid common mistakes. When you're done, boot off cd and enter "knoppix testcd" to check the cd for errors.
    Some v. 3.9 bugs are documented here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    thanks, everything is working fine, except the resolution is really low. When I start up a get a menu that gives me 7 chocies, but they all are it 640x800... how to i fix this?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_toaster
    thanks, everything is working fine, except the resolution is really low. When I start up a get a menu that gives me 7 chocies, but they all are it 640x800... how to i fix this?
    The normal default resolution I see is 1024x768. I expect that the hardware detection has decided that your video card or monitor should be run at the lower res. To override hardware detection and make your own choices, see the cheat codes section of the wiki, found by following the documentation link near the top of this page.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    I still can't get the resoltuon any higher... In windows its always run at 1024x768 fine, so the hardware does support it. I used the cheat code knoppix screen=1024x768 but it didn't make any difference.... Am i typing it in at the right point, the first time I can type anything, as it boots and is this the right code?

    I'd like to resolve this as it makes it unusable, i.e. I can't see the Ok button on dialog boxes, so I can't click them!

    So now if I want to mount by c: drive what do I do? I havn't backed anything up hence asking here... will this destroy my data etc?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586 picture

Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586

$149.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



(Lot of 2) Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz CPU Processor SR0PK LGA1155- CPU599A picture

(Lot of 2) Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz CPU Processor SR0PK LGA1155- CPU599A

$60.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99