-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, so you're talking about scandisk, the windows/dos utility, right? The problem with that is that I don't have admin rights when logged-into windows. I never needed such rights before.
So, the deal I made with the techies at my school was that I'd leave their XP installs alone as long as they left my linux installs allone. The one exception being, of course, my resizing the XP partitions to make space for linux in the first place!
Actually, here's another exception - when the techies ghost my hdds! This problem first came about when all my Dells, one by one over the period of the last few months, had to have their mobos replaced due to having a thermal event (leaking capacitors) which prevented booting. So, when Dell sends a replacement mobo, the techies replace the old one and ghost the hdd from some windows PC down the hall (not in my dual-boot lab for some reason).
Why they have to ghost the hdd after replacing the mobo is beyond me. They tell me it has something to do with getting the correct DHCP settings from a working PC that otherwise is a pain...? So, I told them to fix their XP partitions as something was obviously wrong with the XP partitions after ghosting. So, I guess I already suggested they run scandisk, but they never did....
BTW, several of the PCs I'm having trouble with were originally installed as dual-boots by yours truly without a problem! I also suggested they make a ghost image from one of MY working PCs (a dual-boot) to use when ghosting instead. In fact, maybe they could use this image to fix the bad ghostings....
Is there a way I could "ghost" a working dual-boot PC, ie: using linux as I don't have windows admin rights, so I can fix their handiwork myself?
Thanx,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By Sky in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
-
By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
-
By phsieh in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
-
By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:50 AM
-
By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$139.99

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$334.67