-
Junior Member
registered user
trying to install.... busy hard drives
i am trying to install the dvd 4.0 version i bought off ebay the other day. I am currently runing it seeing as my other distro ubuntu died on me. I have re formated the hard drive with partition magic. i have also made 2 partitions that i want one for linux swap partition and one for the initial install. yet when i go to install everything the command prompt comes out and says both hard drives are busy and mounted. when i right click on my main hard drive i see that it says its not mounted at all. i even tried enabling the read/write on the hard drive did that un mounted same thing come out. they are both busy and i would like to know how to make them avalable for use so i can install this ever so wonderful distro of knoppix 4.0 on dvd.
-
Busy Drives
I thought I had successfully managed to install 4.0 from DVD until booting from the hard drive.
Knoppix/Debian had seen my IDE controllers and drives as UDMA, and tried unsuccessfully to turn on the DMA for them. The result was a lockup with the error message being 'Drives Busy', then an error status code. Even putting ide=nodma in the kernel line did not stop the OS from trying to make the DMA part active later on. The drives/controller had run under Win98 with DMA active and no problem, but I have read that people have been having problems with Kernel 2.6 (which Knoppix 4.0 uses) and DMA. I had to stop the DMA from being running initially and also from being activated later on during the hotplug session. Now I have a working machine, although I cannot share my drives with my windows machines, but thats another matter.
Try running your PC using the DVD as normal (DMA is switched off by default) then enable it from the main menu. My machine locked up when I did this, which proved running the drives with DMA enabled on my PC with Kernel 2.6 was a no no. Perhaps you can disable it in your bios settings just to test. I hope I've given you another avenue to investigate.
-
Senior Member
registered user
boot the knoppix DVD with the cheat code:
knoppix nofstab noswap
Let us know if this helped
-
I have the same problem here also benjamin1254 & I bought the DVD from ebay also,the DVD running in the live mode very good but I like to install it on the hard drive ,I have 3 hard drives in my system one of them is 8 GB I formated it useing partation magic to 7.50 GB ext3 & the rest for the swap & every time I start installing using knx2hd or knoppix-installer it say it need to format again because knoppix can't find suitable partations for it so I start to foloow it's instructions but when i choose the hard drive it say busy so I thought this is because the hard drive is already mounted so I went to check it I didn't find unmount & just found mount ,I tried to change the premission for reading & writting then tried again & now it's not saying busy it's saying read only,in fact Iam almost give up from all that & I wish I can find anyone have a solution for this.
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK. You may need to use a cheat code.
Boot the knoppix DVD with the cheat code:
knoppix nofstab noswap
Let us know if this helped.
-
First Thank you for you reply
I did as you said & this time it didn't give device busy as it used to do & I could format the root & the swap partations & I thought everything is fine but when I saved the changed I made for the hard drive & closed QTPARTED it gave me the same message again that say there is no suitable partations for knoppix & it will start QTPARTED again , look to the attached picture what it say in the root shell maybe you can get any idea about what Iam having exactly !!!!!!

& Thank You again for your help.
-
Take it easy, you are just one of us sleepless hopeless Knoppix users waiting for a fix to it, keep check back for update release, or you go back to 3.9 for an easier life !
-
Senior Member
registered user
I get a different error when using qtparted. I've never seen this error before this school year, but now I see it on about 33% of my hdinstalls!
When I try to resize the XP partition (VFAT32) from roughly 40GB to about 20GB to make room for the linux installation, I get the following error:
Code:
An error happen during ped_file_system_open call
after resizing but before creating or committing, or:
Code:
An error happen during ped_file_system_resize call
after creating the an ext3 (about 19GB) partition and a linux-swap partition (about 512MB) and committing the changes.
I tried the cheat given above
Code:
knoppix nofstab noswap
on the outside chance that this would help (I've been pulling my hair out for months over this and am now desperate to get these PCs up and running dual-boots) but it didn't help. I get the same errors.
What's wrong with this?
Please help,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
I get a different error when using qtparted. I've never seen this error before this school year, but now I see it on about 33% of my hdinstalls!
When I try to resize the XP partition (VFAT32) from roughly 40GB to about 20GB to make room for the linux installation, I get the following error:
Code:
An error happen during ped_file_system_open call
after resizing but before creating or committing, or:
Code:
An error happen during ped_file_system_resize call
after creating the an ext3 (19GB) partition and a linux-swap partition (whatever's left) and committing the changes.
I tried the cheat given above
Code:
knoppix nofstab noswap
on the outside chance that this would help (I've been pulling my hair out for months over this and am now desperate to get these PCs up and running dual-boots) but it didn't help. I get the same errors.
What's wrong with this?
Please help,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
You may have to first scandisk the FAT32 partitions. See http://www.mepis.org/node/5634
Similar Threads
-
By Sky in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
-
By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
-
By phsieh in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
-
By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:50 AM
-
By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99