-
Senior Member
registered user
I'd like to use your dd procedure to make an image of a working PC with all the partitions intact, however, this is going to be a huge file, right? If I don't compress the file, as described above, how big will the image file be for a 40GB hdd? Will it image all 40GB even if many GBs are not as yet used? If I compress, what compression rate would I get, about 50%? I just don't know where I'd store such a huge image file! If the image file only copies stored files and not physical space, and I compress at 50%, then the image could be as small as 4GB, but I still don't know where I'd store it....
Is there some way to install the image directly as its being made - a straight transfer of data without having to save an intermediary image file at all?
BTW, here's some stats if it helps:
These are Dell GX270s with 40GB hdd, 750MB RAM and Pentium IVs running at 2.8GHz.
Also, the partitions on the working machines are set-up roughly as follows.
hda1: Windows 95 rescue (<1GB)
hda2: Windows XP primary boot partition (19GB)
hda3: KNOPPIX-installered Linnux ext3 partition (19GB)
hda4: linux-swap (whatever's left < 1GB)
TIA,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By Sky in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
-
By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
-
By phsieh in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
-
By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:50 AM
-
By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99