Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: trying to install.... busy hard drives

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, so you're talking about scandisk, the windows/dos utility, right? The problem with that is that I don't have admin rights when logged-into windows. I never needed such rights before.

    So, the deal I made with the techies at my school was that I'd leave their XP installs alone as long as they left my linux installs allone. The one exception being, of course, my resizing the XP partitions to make space for linux in the first place!

    Actually, here's another exception - when the techies ghost my hdds! This problem first came about when all my Dells, one by one over the period of the last few months, had to have their mobos replaced due to having a thermal event (leaking capacitors) which prevented booting. So, when Dell sends a replacement mobo, the techies replace the old one and ghost the hdd from some windows PC down the hall (not in my dual-boot lab for some reason).

    Why they have to ghost the hdd after replacing the mobo is beyond me. They tell me it has something to do with getting the correct DHCP settings from a working PC that otherwise is a pain...? So, I told them to fix their XP partitions as something was obviously wrong with the XP partitions after ghosting. So, I guess I already suggested they run scandisk, but they never did....

    BTW, several of the PCs I'm having trouble with were originally installed as dual-boots by yours truly without a problem! I also suggested they make a ghost image from one of MY working PCs (a dual-boot) to use when ghosting instead. In fact, maybe they could use this image to fix the bad ghostings....

    Is there a way I could "ghost" a working dual-boot PC, ie: using linux as I don't have windows admin rights, so I can fix their handiwork myself?

    Thanx,
    AJG

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    to ghost a disk i would use dd, should be possible to do with NFS mounted source.
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/myHDD of=/mnt/image/image.img
    to replace
    Code:
    dd if=/mnt/image/image.img of=/dev/myHDD
    here you have some more.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...5&highlight=dd

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I'd like to use your dd procedure to make an image of a working PC with all the partitions intact, however, this is going to be a huge file, right? If I don't compress the file, as described above, how big will the image file be for a 40GB hdd? Will it image all 40GB even if many GBs are not as yet used? If I compress, what compression rate would I get, about 50%? I just don't know where I'd store such a huge image file! If the image file only copies stored files and not physical space, and I compress at 50%, then the image could be as small as 4GB, but I still don't know where I'd store it....

    Is there some way to install the image directly as its being made - a straight transfer of data without having to save an intermediary image file at all?

    BTW, here's some stats if it helps:
    These are Dell GX270s with 40GB hdd, 750MB RAM and Pentium IVs running at 2.8GHz.
    Also, the partitions on the working machines are set-up roughly as follows.
    hda1: Windows 95 rescue (<1GB)
    hda2: Windows XP primary boot partition (19GB)
    hda3: KNOPPIX-installered Linnux ext3 partition (19GB)
    hda4: linux-swap (whatever's left < 1GB)

    TIA,
    AJG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. How do I mount hard drives?
    By Sky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
  2. i need some help on hard drives :(
    By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
  3. Cannot see hard drives, please help
    By phsieh in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
  4. lilo and two os on two hard drives
    By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:50 AM
  5. Adding Hard Drives
    By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25