Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: ICQ-install and installing packages in generall

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2

    ICQ-install and installing packages in generall

    hi, I'm a linux user for 2,5 years now but always used SUSE LINUX but now I am sick of it and made the decission to install my live-knoppix-cd (3.9) on my hdd. how I expected I have a few problems ^^:
    I just have the CDversion of knoppix and not the DVD so I miss some software. especially my icq-client. on suse I used to have licq and sim-icq, but I couldn't install either of them. sim-icq couldn't be installed because of missing qt-packages and licq was installed succesfully but doesn't want to start.
    how do I install programs/packages propery? on SUSE I was used to make use of f**** YaST2 and it was as easy as going to the toilet. I read that knoppix is like debian when installed but how do I load packages
    e.g.: sim icq: http://sim-icq.sourceforge.net/de/download.shtml
    can someone please help me at the first steps? or is it recommended to install the 'real' debian instead of knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Connect to the internet. Open a terminal. Do the following:

    type:

    su
    (prompt for root password)
    apt-get update && apt get install synaptic && exit




    When you're back to the user prompt, you'll find synaptic under System in the K menu. It's a gui front end to apt-get which is the Debian package manager. Now, pop it open and use the search tool to find an icq client.

    The rest is pretty straightforward.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2
    thanks! helped me very much
    its a very good package system!

Similar Threads

  1. Selecting packages when installing
    By knithx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
  2. installing rpm packages using apt
    By jsweatte in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM
  3. Installing RPM packages
    By HewJass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 04:34 AM
  4. installing rpm packages on KNOPPIX
    By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
  5. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New picture

vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New

$99.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working

$22.99



Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH II Desktop PC EMPTY CASE & Power Supply Only UNTESTED picture

Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH II Desktop PC EMPTY CASE & Power Supply Only UNTESTED

$39.90



Lot Vintage 1991 Apple Microsoft Classic Software Disk Manual User Guide 7.0.1 + picture

Lot Vintage 1991 Apple Microsoft Classic Software Disk Manual User Guide 7.0.1 +

$74.95



Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED picture

Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED

$199.00



Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord picture

Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord

$44.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage

$99.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00