Quote Originally Posted by Gary King
I've heard that Knoppix isn't made for upgrading hard drive installed versions. So how do you upgrade? I guess it's something you need to know how to do it, and not an automatic thing?
Gary,

I cant speak for any versions of Knoppix, past version 3.4, that was the last version I have had "direct" contact with, and, yes, at those versions, you had to "gut" your install, and completely re-install the OS again, and all programs that didnt, or dont, come pre-installed with the re-install... Some ways exist to make this "transition" of re-installing, a little easier, again, not sure of any Knoppix versions since v3.4, but, you can choose to install Knoppix with a seperate partition for your /home ( where all your personal files and configurations are kept ), and when re-installing, you would keep your /home intact, but the "gross OS files" would get replaced... again, if any programs are not installed that you use, or used, dont come with this new OS upgrade, you would need to re-install them again, after you re-install the new version of Knoppix.

Other "variants" of Knoppix exist, like, say, Kanotix, which are made more "closely" related to Debian SID ( the unstable Debian release ), which both Knoppix and Kanotix are based off of. Kanotix is made to allow it to be "upgraded" without having to re-install, like Knoppix... From input of the creator of Knoppix, Knopper, Knoppix is more geared toward the LiveCD booting ability, whereas, Kanotix, is geared to both; LiveCD and also installing.

Again, this information is coming from what I remember back in v3.4 of Knoppix releases, and may have changed with all the new versions that have come out, so dont quote me here, but, this has been the niche that Knoppix has been striving for, LiveCD booting... It does it well, and many, have enjoyed this niche, for many years, just fine...

Again, hopefully, this helps,
Ms. Cuddles