-
smartboot manager doesn't find my CDROM
I have an old laptop that can't boot from CD.
I have tried to boot from a floppy using smartbootmgr. It gives me a disk error when i try to boot the CD.
Error
DISK ERROR! 0xAA
(IT's nothing wrong with the CD)
I have also tried to boot from floppy with syslinux boot. It doesn't help either.
But with the floppy syslinux boot diskette, i am able to find the cd device and mount it up. But HOW do i start the installation process from here?????
I can also find the CDROM when booting from DOS/Windows. So it's not a problem with the CDROM.
PLEASE HELP me. I have tried searching this forum without success.
-
Loadlin fixed my problem.
Strange none of you could help here.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: smartboot manager doesn't find my CDROM

Originally Posted by
oljeogvann
I have an old laptop that can't boot from CD.
I have tried to boot from a floppy using smartbootmgr. It gives me a disk error when i try to boot the CD.
Error
DISK ERROR! 0xAA
(IT's nothing wrong with the CD)
...
I can also find the CDROM when booting from DOS/Windows. So it's not a problem with the CDROM.
PLEASE HELP me. I have tried searching this forum without success.
True. But there could be somthing wrong with the combination of that CD-ROM with that CD. If you search the forums for "0xAA" you'll find that one person's solution was to use a different brand of CDs.
Of course, there could also be something wrong with SBM.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oljeogvann
Loadlin fixed my problem.
Care to share how loadlin fixed your problem?
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: smartboot manager doesn't find my CDROM

Originally Posted by
rwcitek
you'll find that one person's solution was to use a different brand of CDs.
I certainly agree, changing brands of media may change the results. But I suspect that in many such cases the CD has been burnt at a high speed. Sure, burning different media might give you somewhat different results, and since high speed burns tend to be very marginal, sometimes work, sometimes fail, sometimes seem to work but boot slowly, sometimes work on one system but not another; I suspect that more problems can just be resolved by burning the same brand of media at low speed than by changing media brands and still burning at high speed. Of course, if the original burn was at low speed and still eratic, then a media brand change is called for.
-
I am a novice with linux. I do not know which parameters to use to start Knoppix.
No one here was able to help me either.
I tried to load knoppix and ubuntu. And had success with ubuntu.
But i would appreciate if some one could tell me wich parameters tu use to start knoppix 3.9.
Both the RAM inst. and the HDA inst.
Here is what i did:
Booted with an win98 startup diskette that FOUND my CDROM at D:
Then loaded loadlin with the ubuntu kernel vmlinux , inird.gz and proper parameters.
I tried the same with knoppix without success. What is the propper parameters to use
eg:
Load loadlin (with the right parameters) from diskette in the linux directory at the CDROM:
d:\boot\isolinux\a:loadlin linux initrd=minirt.gz (and with the right parameters)
As you probably understand i have very litle knowledge about booting unix kernels.
But i want to understand, so please enlighten me.
-
Regarding media quality and brand. This is not an issue here.
As stated in my first post SBM don't even find my CDROM drive.
The CD does not start spinning at all, when booted fram SBM diskette.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
oljeogvann
Regarding media quality and brand. This is not an issue here.
As stated in my first post SBM don't even find my CDROM drive.
The CD does not start spinning at all, when booted fram SBM diskette.
SBM can certainly be confused by non-standard interfaces, but I've always been able to get it to boot on the system I've tried it on. Can you tell us more about your CD interface? Can you give information on what type of interface it seems to be on (IDE being the best answer here)? Have you notived the settings in SBM that let you adjust for non-standard hardware settings?
It may well be that SBM might not work in the case of your hardware, but I would't give up on it just yet. It does sometimes take some persuasion.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oljeogvann
No one here was able to help me either.
Keep up that line and no one may bother to help you.

Originally Posted by
oljeogvann
I tried to load knoppix and ubuntu. And had success with ubuntu.
How did you have success with ubuntu? Did you boot from the CD or did you use SBM?
I'm curious to know, if you don't put any CD in the CD-ROM and then boot from the floppy with SBM, does SBM recognize the CD-ROM drive?
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
Similar Threads
-
By lothario in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-21-2006, 07:12 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
-
By JimH00 in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 05:22 PM
-
By jct in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
-
By clane in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
$69.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640
$54.99