Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix DVD 4.0 Boot Issues

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix DVD 4.0 Boot Issues

    I've downloaded the dvd version and burned it to dvd. Now my problem is getting it to boot. can someone help? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    I apologize for my question being so vague. I am a newbie at knoppix. I got the cd to work ver. 3.9. As far as the dvd goes, my bios doesn't give me an option to make the dvd boot first. I've read a lot of the other posts regarding this issue. I also tried the booting from the floppy disk fist. For some reason it doesn't work.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Try reading about Smart Boot Manager in the downloading FAQ. It got the KNoppix DVD to boot for me on one system where the bios would not (and in my case the DVD drive was even the master, not clear on what my bios's poblem was with it).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your reply. I downloaded smart boot manager- sbminst.exe along with the other needed file cwsdpmi.exe and put it on a floppy disk. My next issue when I reboot the computer is that I can't get smart reboot manager to load or boot up. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do next. Will y ou Please help me? Thanks for your kindness!!!

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusFreak in a private message
    Thanks for your reply. I downloaded smart boot manager- sbminst.exe along with the other needed file cwsdpmi.exe and put it on a floppy disk. My next issue when I reboot the computer is that I can't get smart reboot manager to load or boot up. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do next. Will y ou Please help me? Thanks for your kindness!!!
    • 1) I would prefer that any such message as this be posted in the appropriate forum, not sent as a private message. The response would likely help others too.

      2) You're not the only one to have made this error. A search of the forums for recent discussion of SBM or Smart Boot Manager would have found the answer without waiting.

      3) You don't just put the file (or files) on a floppy, smbinst stands for SABM Installer, you run it to make a floppy into a SBM floppy, or to install SBM to your master boot record, which makes things far easier, since you don't even need a floppy.

      4) This, and most other questions about downloading and booting, is covered in the Downloading faq, in the wiki, reached by following the Docomentation link near the top of this page. If there are things omited from the Downloading faq, let us now and we'll update it, or update it yourself as you find the answers.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    P.S. - The wiki suffered a massive attack by a spammer early today. We are workig to rollback things. I thought that was all done, but the downloading faq is still missig. With any luck it will be back shortly.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Hello Again - boot issues continued
    By b.line in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM
  2. knoppix boot issues
    By echromes in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 04:04 AM
  3. Boot issues. Newb wants help.
    By _Azrael_ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 02:38 PM
  4. BOOT ISSUES
    By amag in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 12:48 AM
  5. 3.4 won't boot, APIC issues
    By CompaqDrew in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD picture

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD

$200.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 260-Pin PC4-2666 / 8gb ddr4 so-dimm 3200 - 24gb total picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 260-Pin PC4-2666 / 8gb ddr4 so-dimm 3200 - 24gb total

$75.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord picture

Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord

$400.00