Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tried pppoeconf but didn't work

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    Tried pppoeconf but didn't work

    Hey everyone,

    I currently have a DSL connection and tried to configure it using pppoeconf, yet when I did, I couldn't connect to the internet at all. I know it is not an issue with my modem since it works in Kanotix and Ubuntu.

    The Knoppix I used was 4.0 (the DVD version).

    Anyone got any ideas as to why it doesn't work? I'd love to use 4.0 since it's so feature rich, but unfortunetly I can't even connect to the internet.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I don´t have experience with 4.0, but maybe nodhcp will help (at the begining). Kanotix use network card with no IP adress at all, neither DHCP nor Static. How it does - not know, but this is it. Do ifconfig in terminal (as root) and you will see something like this:

    eth0 Encapsulamento do Link: Ethernet Endereço de HW 00:50:8D:66:BA:EE
    endereço inet6: fe80::250:8dff:fe66:baee/64 Escopo:Link
    UP BROADCASTRUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Métrica:1
    RX packets:1656 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1753 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    colisões:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1271141 (1.2 MiB) TX bytes:274410 (267.9 KiB)
    IRQ:11 Endereço de E/S:0xe000

    This is eth0 w/o IP adress. (Language here is portuguese, distribution is brazilian Kurumin, based on Knoppix & Kanotix)

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Tried pppoeconf but didn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon
    I currently have a DSL connection and tried to configure it using pppoeconf, yet when I did,...
    You don't use a router, do you? While you should be able to configure Knoppix to work without one, this and many other problems will just go away if you have a router hooked to the DSL modem and you connect to that. You will just boot and be on the Internet, no Knoppix setup needed at all. And you will have a much safer connection. Windows is particularly vulnerable to attacks if you are on the Internet without the hardware filewall a router offers (it has been reported that the average system without a hardware fireewall is compromised within 4 minutes of being placed on a high speed connection!) but this is a growing threat for Linux too.

    Routers are dirt cheap now. My little wired Linksys was about $150 when it first came oyt, I paid over $100 for it, but you can now buy many routers for $10 or less after rebate, some with wireless capability. CompUSA even had one for $2.99 this week!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    since it works in Kanotix and Ubuntu....
    I don´t know nothing about Ubuntu. Kanotix setup network card automagicaly in no IP adrress mode, Kurumin asks during installation if I want to configure network and I choose ¨no¨ so it did same thing as Kanotix and my conection to ADSL through simple Ethernet modem and 1 network card works OK. This is why I sugest ¨nodhcp¨ cheat code. Maybe this is ¨poor man conection¨ - w/o router, and has some disadvantages, but it is good as ¨first aid¨.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    OK, I'll definetly try out nodhcp.

    And no, I don't use a router.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    it works!!!!

    Thanks a lot guys, I'm posting this in Knoppix as we speak.

    You've all been really helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Mozilla profiles work for Windows and won't work for Musix
    By ml2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
  2. have to run pppoeconf every time
    By yalegodman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 06:48 PM
  3. Verizon dsl set up pppoeconf
    By plener in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
  4. pppoeconf at boot time
    By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:55 AM
  5. Knoppix (Debian) pppoeconf and cable modem
    By guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99