-
Make Knoppix.en under 650 mb...
Well, non-English language support (French, Spanish, German, Italian..) is about 100 megs.
Why don't you save this precious space by removing these packages?
This could end in a much smaller iso, so we can all save bandwidth.
Or, at least, this space could be used in a more useful way with other packages!
Just my 2 cents..
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Make Knoppix.en under 650 mb...

Originally Posted by
jimbo70
Well, non-English language support (French, Spanish, German, Italian..) is about 100 megs.
Why don't you save this precious space by removing these packages?
This could end in a much smaller iso, so we can all save bandwidth.
Or, at least, this space could be used in a more useful way with other packages!
Just my 2 cents..
Well could not the French, Italian, etc.. users says the same thing about other language support. You would end up with as many versions as there were languages supported and I can just bet that would be real fun to try and maintain.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Personaly, I think that multiple ISO's is a great idea. I don't think it hould be taken to extremes with dozens and dozens of versions, but it makes sense to have "single language" versions. Especialy in light of the fact that it takes up so much room on the CD.
I think what you save on bandwidth would more than make up for what you spend on server space.
-
Re: Make Knoppix.en under 650 mb...
[quote="Stephen"]

Originally Posted by
jimbo70
Well, non-English language support (French, Spanish, German, Italian..) is about 100 megs.
Well could not the French, Italian, etc.. users says the same thing about other language support. You would end up with as many versions as there were languages supported and I can just bet that would be real fun to try and maintain.
You're right,this would be a mess, but I think it's already a mess to keep all the present languages up to date with every package update, so a simplified and lighter Knoppix would useful anyway.
At least, the so called .en Knoppix should be named International Knoppix or whatever, given the deep local language support 
To clarify, I'm Italian, but I'd be more than happy to trade an english only release with a smaller iso.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Make Knoppix.en under 650 mb...

Originally Posted by
jimbo70
I think it's already a mess to keep all the present languages up to date with every package update.
Knoppix uses the international language support so if the module for the language is present and the application supports using it then there are no problems. Where you do run into problems is when you install to HD and every time you install a program if it has to generate the locales it takes a while and sometimes there are errors in the locale files.
At least, the so called .en Knoppix should be named International Knoppix or whatever, given the deep local language support
You are right.
To clarify, I'm Italian, but I'd be more than happy to trade an english only release with a smaller iso.
I sort of had that figured out from the location.
-
knoppix bonus cd
My dream would be a knoppix bonus cd for hd installs. It would be very easy to do. Just go into the cd directory and type dpkg -i *.deb , done everything installed. I already made a small one but I am on dialup. If I get access to broadband for a couple days I'll make a good one!!!
mplayer
visualboyadvance
english dictionary
mencoder
filmgimp
...
just about everything there is to install and if you run out of room make another.
Similar Threads
-
By cybernout in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 01:16 PM
-
By sunix in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:12 PM
-
By Lord1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By turbine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-02-2003, 12:46 PM
-
By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF
$99.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$44.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99

MICRON 2200S 256GB NVMe SSD (MTFDHBA256TCK-2AS1AABDA) - TESTED - 71%
$24.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00