I'd like to recover some disk space and was wondering whether it's safe to remove Gnome, as I don't use it. I'm also hoping that it has the side effect of fixing the problem of the difference in font size that I see with some applications (e.g. Acrobat Reader, from Marillat's repository), which show up with ridiculously small font sizes, compared with KDE. What is the best procedure for removing the Gnome desktop environment? apt-get remove --purge gnome-desktop-environment obviously doesn't work, because it's a metapackage. Trying to remove other applications wants to remove a lot of other packages and I'm not sure it'll break my system, as has happened to me in the past. Any ideas please?

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$8.00
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.77