Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Has This Been Tried? Hybrid DOS/Knoppix DVD?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Has This Been Tried? Hybrid DOS/Knoppix DVD?

    I got to thinking about how I boot to DOS then, via Loadlin.exe boot up Knoppix.

    I have a DOS rescue CD and I have the Knoppix Live CD. Hmmm.

    It got me wondering.

    Would it be possible to make a super rescue DVD that first boots to DOS and contains a lot of DOS utilities. Then via a batch file run Knoppix if desired? You could perhaps even have more than one iso image on it. Say, regular Knoppix and STD Knoppix and run either one. ??????

    Is this possible?

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Has This Been Tried? Hybrid DOS/Knoppix DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    I got to thinking about how I boot to DOS then, via Loadlin.exe boot up Knoppix.
    I have a DOS rescue CD and I have the Knoppix Live CD. Hmmm.
    It got me wondering.
    Would it be possible to make a super rescue DVD that first boots to DOS and contains a lot of DOS utilities. Then via a batch file run Knoppix if desired? You could perhaps even have more than one iso image on it. Say, regular Knoppix and STD Knoppix and run either one. ??????
    Is this possible?
    sakiZ
    Of course. I have done it using grub. I can load knoppix from the iso, dos from a floppy disk image file and use a ramdisk to load even more applications from the cd/dvd, and even win98 from a hd file image into a ramdisk (but this will work only on a specific computer since windoze will look for the missing driver since there is no boot hw autodectection). The trick is to create the iso image using mkisofs and use the no emulation mode to load grub. You could also boot the iso using a floppy boot image with a dos boot and then use loadlin.exe or grub.exe to start various versions of linux. You can even start grub4lin from loadlin.exe to run grub and still have emm386 loaded.
    Hope this helps, Gilles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Thanks!

    I'll try using a floppy with loadlin.exe first.

    I just looked that the MKISOFS website. Looks like it has not been updated in several years.

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    I'll try using a floppy with loadlin.exe first.
    I just looked that the MKISOFS website. Looks like it has not been updated in several years.
    sakiZ
    It just works great as is (at least for me). And a *LOT* of people are using this tool to create (fancy) cd/dvd...
    You can even use the cywin port of it on a xp system: cygwin1.dll + mkisofs.exe
    Cheers, Gilles

Similar Threads

  1. Hybrid HD install wanted
    By udippel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
  2. XP / Knoppix hybrid: How to reinstall XP?
    By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
  3. ircd hybrid 7 on knoppix?
    By morter in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 10:59 PM
  4. Knoppix should not be a hybrid
    By john_h in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport picture

50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport

$9.99



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



A-tech 16GB Ddr4 Pc4-19200 Dimm/2400mhz 2rx8 1.2v 25822 picture

A-tech 16GB Ddr4 Pc4-19200 Dimm/2400mhz 2rx8 1.2v 25822

$49.95



Team Group Team Elite DDR3-1600 DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin Desktop RAM picture

Team Group Team Elite DDR3-1600 DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin Desktop RAM

$35.00