Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't get minicom working on Thinkpad A30 as serial console

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1

    Can't get minicom working on Thinkpad A30 as serial console

    Hi all,

    I want to use an IBM Thinkpad A30 as a console terminal for other UNIX servers. For that, I have a KNOPPIX 3.6 bootable CD.

    After connecting the A30 by serial cable to an AIX machine and booting from CD, I can't get a login session.
    I'm trying it with minicom, no login appears from the connected UNIX.

    The serial port on the AIX node is enabled for logins and set to 19200, 8N1, XON/XOFF.
    When I start Windows on the A30 and use Hyperterminal, it works as expected, I can connect (through COM1) an login to the UNIX machine without troubles. So the setup on the AIX side seems to be ok.

    On the KNOPPIX side, I'm not really sure, if the serial port is really enabled with KNOPPIX 3.6 from CD boot.
    "dmesg |grep tty" doesn't show anything.

    As I can see in /dev, KNOPPIX has generated tty devices. But I'm not sure which to select for the communication over the COM1 port of the A30 (ttyS0, tty1, psaux, console, ......).


    Any tips?


    Thanks and Regards
    Martin

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Columbia Hills, Mars
    Posts
    6

    minicom ports

    The equivelent ports are:

    COM1 = /dev/ttyS0
    COM2 = /dev/ttyS1

    Hope that helps.

    I'm having a different issue...

    Minicom comes up fine, but color ANSI stuff that works perfectly in HyperTerminal is just ASCI garbage on mincom. I refuse to believe there is no equivelent functionality to HyperTerminal in KNOPPIX. Please tell me where it is.

    Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Serial Console when booting?
    By maxim9 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
  2. Activate serial console or ssh at boot
    By jimmi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
  3. serial console access
    By wt8e7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 08:52 AM
  4. exporting serial console at boot
    By Jordi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
  5. 2 Q's: Serial console and list of HW support
    By adammorley in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i5-10505 CPU Processor 3.20GHz FCLGA1200 SRH38 Tested Working picture

Intel Core i5-10505 CPU Processor 3.20GHz FCLGA1200 SRH38 Tested Working

$89.99