Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Installing jdk 1.5 and setting path

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Installing jdk 1.5 and setting path

    Every time I upgrade to a new version of java, I forget how to set the PATH variable.

    I know you can use export, but I've manually editted the PATH var so as to remove the old path setting from

    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/bin/java

    to

    /usr/java/jdk-1_5_0_04/bin/java

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Not sure why you want to set the path for it. Have you tried: update-alternatives --config java
    How are you installing java? With java-package?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well, I'm installing the self-extracting *.bin from java.sun.com

    The instructions say to download it whereever, say /root

    Then, cd to the dir you want to extract it to, say /usr/bin/java and execute the *.bin creating a subdir there.

    Now, I want all the users on this server to use the new executables for java, javac, appletviewer and javadoc versions 1.5

    I think I remember now, all I did in the past was
    Code:
    kwrite /etc/profile
    to edit the path line and then reboot or
    Code:
    source /etc/profile
    BTW, is there a way to see the current path without opening the file /etc/profile?

    Also, to uninstall the old jdk, do I simply remove its dir from the path and delete that dir and all its subdirs?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you seen this? http://serios.net/content/debian/jav...va-package.php
    The point with java-package is that you create a .deb with it which can then be (un)installed with dpkg.
    For a single user I sometimes just export the path manually with PATH=/some/new/path:$PATH && export PATH but you said you don't want this so how about:
    sed -i 's/sbin/sbin:\/some\/new\/path/' /etc/profile
    You can choose something else than sbin of course, I didn't even check if it's mentioned only once. Or you can echo the path somewhere.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I'll have to look at your link. However, I seem to remember having a problem the first time I installed java with a *.deb

    Sun Micro provides the *.bin and a *.rpm so i used alien to convert the *.rpm to a *.deb and tried to install it with kpackage. However, the *.deb generated was incomplete. I figured alien couldn't handle such a large file....

    Thanx for the help,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I didn't see a question there so I neglected to answer, perhaps I should have . Did it work? As you probably noticed java-package uses the bin from sun as well, so it isn't that different except that you get a deb out of it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx for your concern. However, I have to wait until I get back to school after Labor day to play around with this.

    Regards,
    AJG

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    That was fast

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery path ~/.dist/bin
    By moon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
  2. path environment
    By roustabout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 12:54 PM
  3. Path to programs
    By hesa666 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 06:38 PM
  4. adding path
    By roustabout in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 03:05 AM
  5. Setting Java PATH
    By furryfren in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00