Not sure why you want to set the path for it. Have you tried: update-alternatives --config java
How are you installing java? With java-package?
Every time I upgrade to a new version of java, I forget how to set the PATH variable.
I know you can use export, but I've manually editted the PATH var so as to remove the old path setting from
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/bin/java
to
/usr/java/jdk-1_5_0_04/bin/java
TIA,
AJG
Not sure why you want to set the path for it. Have you tried: update-alternatives --config java
How are you installing java? With java-package?
Well, I'm installing the self-extracting *.bin from java.sun.com
The instructions say to download it whereever, say /root
Then, cd to the dir you want to extract it to, say /usr/bin/java and execute the *.bin creating a subdir there.
Now, I want all the users on this server to use the new executables for java, javac, appletviewer and javadoc versions 1.5
I think I remember now, all I did in the past wasto edit the path line and then reboot orCode:kwrite /etc/profileBTW, is there a way to see the current path without opening the file /etc/profile?Code:source /etc/profile
Also, to uninstall the old jdk, do I simply remove its dir from the path and delete that dir and all its subdirs?
TIA,
AJG
Have you seen this? http://serios.net/content/debian/jav...va-package.php
The point with java-package is that you create a .deb with it which can then be (un)installed with dpkg.
For a single user I sometimes just export the path manually with PATH=/some/new/path:$PATH && export PATH but you said you don't want this so how about:
sed -i 's/sbin/sbin:\/some\/new\/path/' /etc/profile
You can choose something else than sbin of course, I didn't even check if it's mentioned only once. Or you can echo the path somewhere.
OK, I'll have to look at your link. However, I seem to remember having a problem the first time I installed java with a *.deb
Sun Micro provides the *.bin and a *.rpm so i used alien to convert the *.rpm to a *.deb and tried to install it with kpackage. However, the *.deb generated was incomplete. I figured alien couldn't handle such a large file....
Thanx for the help,
AJG
I didn't see a question there so I neglected to answer, perhaps I should have. Did it work? As you probably noticed java-package uses the bin from sun as well, so it isn't that different except that you get a deb out of it.
Thanx for your concern. However, I have to wait until I get back to school after Labor day to play around with this.
Regards,
AJG
That was fast![]()

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor
$28.00
AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU
$169.99
GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$14.99