Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting Knoppix from USB HDD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Booting Knoppix from USB HDD

    Hello all,

    I have seen a lot of post about how to transfer Knoppix to a Usb stick, and I thought that i just use the same HOW TO (SUCCESS) to install (and boot) it from my 20 gig USB HDD. However it does not seem to work. I tried it using pbs's post at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64999 . I want to boot it from the harddisk, to take it to work and use it at home without changing any computer setting e.g. MBR or install any lilos.

    Did anybody try to install and boot knoppix from an USB HDD?

    Thanks for the help.

    P.S. I'm a TOTAL linux newbie, but consider myself to have some computer understanding




  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29

    Re: Booting Knoppix from USB HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by zdrojew
    Did anybody try to install and boot knoppix from an USB HDD?
    Yes, I do. There are already many posts in the forum to describe how can you install Knoppix to a USB stick. Actually, this is a PMI installation. Are you going to do a full installation, i.e. Knoppix to HDD as if Debian to HDD?

    Below is extracted from my post at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20539
    Quote Originally Posted by d00m3d
    Be warned, Knoppix is designed to be a LiveCD in principle. The use and installation to any media are at your own risks.

    I haven't tried the installation of Knoppix-4.0 DVD version, but installing Knoppix to a USB is indeed possible, but tricky.

    I have installed successfully Knoppix3.9 to a USB HDD, major steps are:

    1. Prepare a custom kernel without the ub support
    2. Install Knoppix into USB HDD, GRUB will fail at this point because of the nasty ub support
    3. Reboot an existing Linux system (or other LiveCD without ub), chroot into the Knoppix-partition in your USB HDD and install the custom kernel from (1).
    4. Make few changes to the mkinitrd.conf and modules in the /etc/mkinitrd directory
    5. Create a initrd for this kernel so that the kernel is capable to find the necessary modules during boot process.
    6. Install GRUB into the MBR of your USB HDD

    I know Knoppix-4.0 already get rid of the ub, so it may be more straightforward.

    If you are still interested in the steps as described above, I may write in more details.

    If you don't want to go thru these tedious steps, then the easiest way is to download and install the latest version of Kanotix (bleeding edge variant of Knoppix).
    Would this help?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks a lot, I'm going to try this over the weekend. I will also try the Kanotix version. So far I never heard of it. Maybe that might be an easier way for me, so I can start getting deeper into linux..

    Thanks, I keep you updated.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix not booting. Help.
    By Zapper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
  2. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  3. Booting KNOPPIX. PLEASE HELP!!
    By MavetLaAravim in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 04:58 AM
  4. Booting Knoppix
    By p3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 09:01 PM
  5. Booting Knoppix KDE 3.1 CD
    By Mindfield in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99