Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: First hurdle in installing to HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    First hurdle in installing to HD

    I am trying to use qtparted to delete and format a partition for installation. However, it always shows the device as busy and won't actually do anything with it.

    The partition is the second half of a 40GB drive, which is the second drive in the system. It is reported as hdb2 with hdb5 uder it. I have tried to delete both of these entities, but with no luck.

    How can I release this partition for deleting? umount doesn't seem to work since it is not mounted. The partition itself was left unformatted. Do I have to umount the whole drive?

    I hesitate to try fdisk since I am not comfortable with using it.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: First hurdle in installing to HD

    Quote Originally Posted by kranberry
    ...How can I release this partition for deleting? umount doesn't seem to work since it is not mounted. The partition itself was left unformatted. Do I have to umount the whole drive?

    I hesitate to try fdisk since I am not comfortable with using it.

    Any ideas?....
    You certainly should be able to delete the logical partition (hd5) and then the edtended partition (hs2). I can't walk you through the Linux tools, just not enough experience with them. Fdisk should work, although some old versions of fdisk refused to delete non-MS partitions (it's not clear what type of partition that unformatted hd5 is). One nice tool I like, that runs under the MS OS's (or runs completely stand-alone when you use the fantastic XOSL boot loader) is Ranish Partition Manager. I'm very happy with it and have had to use it in some cases where Fdisk simply wouldn't create what I wanted. Make sure you actually save your changes after you make them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Or you might like to try cfdisk: generally it's easier to use than fdisk and less buggy than qtparted.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    First hurdle in installing to HD

    I am not sure if it was just me or not or if using 3.7 is different from the newer versions but when i tried using cfdisk the knoppix-installer wouldn't recognise my cfdisk partitions and sent me to q-parted every time (I am a bit accident prone and have had to re-install several times). On top of which i got several error messages after the q-parted partitioning, which seemed fine until I made a mistake and had to re-install or /sbin/lilo and my hard drive had been goofed. after spending weeks nay months working on this and encountering this problem I am sticking to partition magic which seems to work greaT (THOUGH YOU WOULD LOSE THE DATA ON THE FIRST PARTITION) It might just be me but...!

Similar Threads

  1. Partition hurdle
    By Phar_Ted in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM
  2. CD Boot works, HDD Installed boot fails at second hurdle
    By Rib in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
  3. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD picture

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD

$200.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99