Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: VNCServer Configuration from 4.0 DVD Setup

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61

    VNCServer Configuration from 4.0 DVD Setup

    Did an HD install from the 4.0 DVD, and am currently getting everything configured. One thing I'm not having much success with is getting VNCServer to setup a proper window for my remote client. When I run vncserver, it comes up and gives me the message about setting up desktop 1. If I go downstairs to my client machine I can connect, but all I get is a gray background with an X for the mouse pointer. No X Terminal or anything else. If I then tell it "vncserver -kill:1" it shuts down the first desktop, but then automatically starts a second on :2.

    I have setup a .vnc/xstartup file, but I don't get the impression that vncserver is using it. Is that an issue particular to the version of vnc that comes on the 4.0 DVD?

    Thanks in advance,
    Ewan

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    FWIW, I've confirmed that the version of VNCServer is based on RealVNC, and is version 3.3.7-7. I notice that Synaptic shows a vnc4, but am not sure if that's a different type of vnc or a later version or...

    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    OK, problem turned out to be something with the way the provided VNC server is configured. I went ahead and did the update to the vnc4server (and common and reader), and then it started using the xstartup file as expected. The xstartup file that ended up working for me was:

    Code:
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    
    /usr/bin/startkde &
    So, now all I have to do is figure out how to get that to autoload after a reboot and I should be in good shape to move on to other challenges

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    Yup, still me. Couple more things since the last report.

    1) Still can't figure out where the right init script is to add a call to VNCServer so that it automatically loads after a reboot. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to reboot the machine and not lose my ability to connect for the rest of the day.

    2) When I try to kill vncserver (vncserver -clean -kill:1), it then autostarts as desktop 2. I then have to kill that, and then do a kill -9 of the process, and then manually remove the lock files in /tmp. Any idea what I need to do to make sure it dies and stays dead?

    TIA,
    Ewan

Similar Threads

  1. could not start vncserver
    By charleswong in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
  2. vncserver broken
    By compudude86 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
  3. I need help with Knoppix vncserver
    By adsum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 11:59 AM
  4. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  5. problem with vncserver
    By tegan in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99