Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Almost smooth ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    31

    Almost smooth ...

    I am fixing up an old 700 Mhz PC with Knoppix 3.9 for the daughter of a friend of mine and I want to get the system to play DVDs.

    I installed Xine which worked OK but was very 'jerky' (dropping frames) and so I tried Totem which was much smoother but still a little bit jerky.

    My question is ...

    In order to get the playback completely smooth what should I upgrade?

    Should I put in more RAM? (I experiemented with 384 Mb and it was still jerky)
    Should I try a faster processor? 800Mhz? 900Mhz?
    Or is the problem with the graphic card? (it's an ELSA trio 64V2/DX, PCI)

    Or should I forget the whole thing and just get a much faster PC?

    If anyone can point me towards the best 'adjustment' to make or can give me tuning tips, then that would be a great help.

    Many thanks,
    Alan Searle.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Should I try a faster processor? 800Mhz? 900Mhz?
    Yes, from my experience you need at least a PIII running at 900Mhz.

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese fonts not smooth from version 2003-4-18.
    By tosky in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 06:01 AM
  2. Install 2 smooth
    By stdly in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2003, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable picture

Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable

$9.97



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



WeePro Compressed Air Duster 180000RPM Cordless Mini Turbo Fan, 3-Speed Vacuum picture

WeePro Compressed Air Duster 180000RPM Cordless Mini Turbo Fan, 3-Speed Vacuum

$149.99