what version of Knoppix is best?
what version of Knoppix is best?
I dont know what you mean by best...i mean best is such a relative term...
If you mean stable, then knoppix 3.8.2 is the most stable from the latest knoppix versions and it also has a pretty looking wallpaper. v3.9 has a gawdy interface and the worst wallpaper theme I have ever seen. Wonder what they were thinking...
what has been updated between 3.8.2 and 3.9 ?
Code:Knoppix 3.8.2 * dist-upgrade (all software packages from current Debian/testing) * Kernel 2.6.11 update * the madwifi drivers are back * kwifimanager in KNOPPIX/network menu * OpenOffice 1.1.4 security update * Swapping on knoppix.swp on a NTFS partition should now work * Replaced Fabian Franz' original knoppix-installer with the version from Jörg Schirottke/Kanotix * fixed SCSI drivers in bootimage "Code:Changes vs. 3.8: * OpenOffice 2.0 BETA (german and english) * KDE 3.4 * Kernel 2.6.11 update * dist-upgrade (all software packages from current Debian/sid) This will be probably be the last "single CD" version of KNOPPIX. Starting from Version 4.0 (already out), the project will be split into a "Light" CD version, and a "Maxi" DVD release. "
My experience range start with 3.3 and spread to 3.8.2.
IMO the best releases are 3.4(*) and 3.8.2.
* 3.4 have had 3 different bug/fixes editions so I refer me to the last one.
IIRC - "some" versions (3.7, 3.8, etc) - do not have Captive NTFS. I believe it was removed after 3.6 (the version I have/use, which has the 2.4 kernel stable and experimental 2.6 kernel), but is now available again (?) in the DVD version (4.0, 4.0.1) I think. I only mention it in case your using Knoppix to fix broken windows. I recall tryingto d/l and earlier version at one point a few months ago (likely 3.0 or maybe it was 3.4) - and could NOT find it anywhere, as every mirror had 3.6/3.7/3.8 only...![]()
What about 4.02 cd how is it stablewise. I dont have a dvd drive![]()
Why not try it for yourself and make that judgement to your own satisfaction? The last reply to your post was made prior to ANY version 4 CD release, so of course the opinions for version 4.XX could only refer to the DVD version. All of the other references appear to be for version 3.XX and with very few exceptions, could ONLY refer to a CD version. I have not seen any entries in the Bug List for the CD version 4.0.2 as of my writing this. There is very little for the 4.0.2 DVD as well. It has been a few weeks since the release of versions 4.0.2 and there is little activity in the Bugs list, so use THAT as an indicator if you wish. I have used both CD and DVD versions for 4.0.2 and it appears quite "Stable" on everything I have used it in. The question of whether it would be stable on YOUR system or not would best be served by actually trying it on YOUR system. Just because it works for me does not mean it will work well for you. You might have something in/on your machine that would cause it to act like a squirrel. Stability is one thing. Having bugs or other concerns outside of stability issues is another. I define stability as I define it. It may have an entirely different meaning for you. If you download the files or burn the disc improperly, you can have "Stability" problems with ANY version you wish to!What about 4.02 cd how is it stablewise. I dont have a dvd drive
Not having a DVD drive is unfortunate, but unless you are absolutely destitute or there is some local law preventing it's possesion, one can be had for relatively little cash outlay, even if an external is required. An internal DVD reader is just a little more than a CD drive and more versatile, as you are finding out. You could even look for a USED one! Even a decent DVD Writer is relatively inexpensive today. I will just assume that your lack of a DVD drive is primarily by your own choice and your misery is self inflicted. If your system is not upgradeable or compatible, then it may be better to look at investing in a more up-to-date-system, even if it means finding a used system that is still serviceable.
Look for the the links at the top of the page you are reading this from. Go to the "Documentation" and "Bugs" links for information regarding issues like "Bugs" and other pertinent useful information like "Documentation". You can find a "Changelog" at one of the mirror sites to see the differences between versions, or at least I could. Here is a link to one of them: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...-CHANGELOG.txt In Version 4.0.2 there is information that pertains to BOTH DVD and CD versions listed. There, the items that pertain ONLY to the DVD version are marked with a [DVD] notation at the beginning of each line. Happy Reading!

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99
Lenovo THINKPAD L15 GEN 4 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$258.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99
Lenovo - Yoga 7a 2-in-1 16" 2K LCD Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen AI 7 445 20...
$849.99
Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99
Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"
$200.00
Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36