Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How do I configure the proxy?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1

    How do I configure the proxy?

    HI, I would first like to thank you to all the people who make this linux thing possible and to the people who help out and take the time to help newbies such as myself. Secondly I would like to say fuck microsoft! That being said here the low down, I have the Knoppix live Cd and it boots fine the KDE browser ( Im acually usesing a theme from KDE on firefox browser right now )and everything else looks very friendly, I can't wait to use it, the problems is I am unable to configure the proxy so I cant use the net. Here is a description of what Im working with ( I am sure you dont need all this info but better too much than too little)

    micosoft windows xp service pack 2
    dell dementions 2400
    celeron R 2.40GHz
    512 MB RAM
    intel R 537EP V9x PCI Modem

    my service is through netzero I have heard that netzero does not support linux but I coundnt get it to work with earthlink when I had it ether. Do I just need to quit being a cheap ass and get broadband? I also have a live CD of ubuntu linux, but I like the look of Knoppix better but would be more than happy to use it if it would better suit my needs. Thank you very much for you time and expertise.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    51:45:20N, 0:40:44W
    Posts
    19
    The command to set a proxy globally (as root) goes like this:
    Code:
    # export http_proxy='http://proxy.site.domain:port@user:password'
    Repeat for ftp_proxy and or https_proxy.

    However, I think that you have a different type of problem. To connect to the Internet using a dial up you will need to download and install a driver for your winmodem (software modem) or use an external (hardware) modem. There is no guarantee that Knoppix will work with your winmodem, but if you google for it and also check your OEM website you will find if a Linux driver exists for your particular winmodem.

    Good luck,

    Mick

Similar Threads

  1. apt-get & proxy
    By Kreator in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
  2. SIP PROXY FUNCTIONALITY
    By blitzdark80 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 12:41 AM
  3. Proxy Authentication
    By bigfr0g in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 08:32 AM
  4. automatic web proxy
    By mwgrenier in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 02:05 AM
  5. can't get apt-get to work with proxy
    By emmostrom in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$385.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99