Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: knoppix + wikipedia

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5

    knoppix + wikipedia

    I've just managed to make a knoppix dvd iso that holds the entire current database of wikipedia. mediawiki is on there , of course (had to comment out any lines that updated , deleted or inserted any thing , due to the R/o status of the disk) , along with apache and mysql starting on boot to handle requests. And it all works fine straight from boot. Realistically Needs about 512M ram to work well , due to the 300M wikipedia DB index file.

    the iso is about 2.6G , so there's enough room for more stuff on there , I'm just not sure what yet. More wikipedia language entries , photos, some of the other wiki databases.

    anyone got any ideas what I should do with it?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: knoppix + wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by pizzathief
    I've just managed to make a knoppix dvd iso that holds the entire current database of wikipedia. mediawiki is on there , of course (had to comment out any lines that updated , deleted or inserted any thing , due to the R/o status of the disk) , along with apache and mysql starting on boot to handle requests. And it all works fine straight from boot. Realistically Needs about 512M ram to work well , due to the 300M wikipedia DB index file. the iso is about 2.6G , so there's enough room for more stuff on there , I'm just not sure what yet. More wikipedia language entries , photos, some of the other wiki databases.
    anyone got any ideas what I should do with it?
    Hello,
    Which version of knoppix are you using as a base ?
    I would be happy to try it. How should I proceed to download it ?
    Nice Job. Best Regards, Gilles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5
    well , I only just finished making it , I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet. And if I did , it would take ages , It takes 6 hours to upload a 700M iso image using my internet connection at the moment.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzathief
    well , I only just finished making it , I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet. And if I did , it would take ages , It takes 6 hours to upload a 700M iso image using my internet connection at the moment.
    I understand. You could seed it as a bittorrent and limit your upload bandwitdth. My 2 cents, Gilles

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5
    I'm working on finding a place where I can upload the disk to , so others can have a look . No idea when It will be downloadable , so for the moment I'mm make the disk better by sticking some graphic files on it , trying to reduce the memory requirements. stuff like that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    I can host it for you, drop me a line by [email protected]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i picture

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i

$699.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



DELL POWEREDGE FC640 Server FHH8V W/×2 Intel Xeon Gold 6142,0KHKN5. *READ⬇* picture

DELL POWEREDGE FC640 Server FHH8V W/×2 Intel Xeon Gold 6142,0KHKN5. *READ⬇*

$130.00



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99