My guess is that your .jpg file isn't really in .jpg format. Try another, known .jpg file and see if the same thing happens.
I just upgraded my pc (hd install) with the latest knoppix ..
I loaded up the gimp and then tried to open a jpg file that I d/l from the web... and I get this error:
" GIMP Message
Opening '/path to my file.......jpg...' failed:
Plug-in could not open image".
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
I used apt-get to remove the gimp, then I used it to re-download and install it but I get the same error both ways !
Any ideas on how to fix this?????
My guess is that your .jpg file isn't really in .jpg format. Try another, known .jpg file and see if the same thing happens.
Do file filename.jpg to see what it is.
I have verified that they are in fact jpg files.
I also tried with a few known jpg files and I get the same error.
What can this be ????
Did you use apt-get remove --purge to be sure configs are overwritten with new ones?

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97
INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working
$150.00