My guess is that your .jpg file isn't really in .jpg format. Try another, known .jpg file and see if the same thing happens.
I just upgraded my pc (hd install) with the latest knoppix ..
I loaded up the gimp and then tried to open a jpg file that I d/l from the web... and I get this error:
" GIMP Message
Opening '/path to my file.......jpg...' failed:
Plug-in could not open image".
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
I used apt-get to remove the gimp, then I used it to re-download and install it but I get the same error both ways !
Any ideas on how to fix this?????
My guess is that your .jpg file isn't really in .jpg format. Try another, known .jpg file and see if the same thing happens.
Do file filename.jpg to see what it is.
I have verified that they are in fact jpg files.
I also tried with a few known jpg files and I get the same error.
What can this be ????
Did you use apt-get remove --purge to be sure configs are overwritten with new ones?

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99