What version of Knoppix did you install to the HD? What type of HD install did you choose?
I've been using knoppix for a few weeks now, and it works very well, and two days ago i decided to install it to one of my empty hard drive partitions. The internet worked perfectly before and i had no problems with anything, but after i installed it to my hard drive, i can't access the internet thru any program in linux (gaim, firefox, konqueror). I thought i could fix that problem by running the PPPoE configuration to use my sbc yahoo dsl thru my speedstream router with a linksys wireless-g router, but it says i need to be root. I am aware that root has no password, so one must be created in console with sudo passwd root. When i try that, it says i am not a "sudoer". Also, only a few programs, like open office, and konqueror, will work without asking for root permission. I have never had these problems before. Thanks in advance if you have any answers.
BTW, it's not just a faulty or unplugged cable, because windows xp pro has no problem going online.
What version of Knoppix did you install to the HD? What type of HD install did you choose?
i installed v. 3.9, and i installed it under (debian-based system)
A known issue with Knoppix 3.9 HD Installs in that it breaks networking. We have cautioned new users from installing Knoppix to the HD without first being aware that it might not work for them http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
The bug you are running into is documented as #15 http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 and can be resolved by entering the command as root user:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
Please try it & let me know if it solves your problem.
Sorry I can't help you with the hdinstall of KNOPPIX 3.9 as I haven't tried that yet.
However, I'm curious as to how you set-up your WirelessG since I just got 25 of these USB cards intalled in my classroom without any prior notice and I'm stuck on getting wireless up and running on the liveCD or hdinstall for that matter!
TIA,
AJG

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)
$75.00
Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99