Are you trying to browse offline? Forget it, either firefox and konqueror makes it in a very crappy way. I would consider this maybe the only thing that windows IE make better than linux browsers![]()
What is a local file?
Say I save on disk a page that I have browsed with Konqueror. If I later try to view this page from the file with Konqueror, I'm advised that it accepts only local files, and I can't open it.
How do I save a page to be recognized as a local file?
Are you trying to browse offline? Forget it, either firefox and konqueror makes it in a very crappy way. I would consider this maybe the only thing that windows IE make better than linux browsers![]()
While I'm not advocating off-line browsing, you can certainly save html files and then view them with just about any browser under Knoppix (assuming, of course, that you are not trying to save to an NTFS partition with Linux). The initial html pages that show in Konqueror are one clear example of this, they can be found on the Knoppix CD or DVD in the KNOPPIX directory. I'm unclear on what your "local file" error is.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
I found out now that if I copy the html file to the desktop, then Konqueror opens it easily.
So the position is that Konqueror can't open a file it created itself unless it is copied into the desktop. This looks as a weak point to me.
I save the files into windows partitions. This ability is a very strong point to me.
As far as I know, Konqueror can open a file that it saves just fine. I just don't recommend off-line browsing of full websites, expecting link and images and the rest to be saved properly. But download a html file, save it, open it later, if there is a problem I'm unaware of it.Originally Posted by Jorge Martínez
I hope when you save your html to "windows partitions" that either you are running Windows at that moment or they are FAT partitions, Never write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix.
Harry Kuhman said:
I'm not aiming at off-line browsing. I just saved a single html file, namely the Wget Manual, that I need for reference, and could not open it with Konqueror unless I copy it to the desktop. Does it make it a "local file"? Am I doing something wrong?As far as I know, Konqueror can open a file that it saves just fine. I just don't recommend off-line browsing of full websites, expecting link and images and the rest to be saved properly. But download a html file, save it, open it later, if there is a problem I'm unaware of it.
He further said:
They are FAT partitions. I have no NTFS partitions as I mistrust this system. I'm not aware about the simultaneous use of Windows and Knoppix. If this is possible I certainly would like to know how it is done.I hope when you save your html to "windows partitions" that either you are running Windows at that moment or they are FAT partitions, Never write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix.
I find it a very strong feature of Knoppix that it understands Windows files and can write in Windows partitions. I'm trying to migrate away from Windows and Knoppix looks as a good prospect for this purpose.
But I have almost a lifetime's amount of material in Windows format and can't convert everything (which I suppose is possible).
Thank you and regards.

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00